Making a super crab trap

Paikea

I recently made a great crab trap from a single sheet of galvanised mesh bought from Bunnings.

Intend to take it up to Byron Bay in the summer where son in law has a tinnie. Mud crabs are the target but I am sure that it will work just as well with Blue Swimmers.

If anyone is interested I can post pics and a drawing showing how to cut the mesh etc.

Cheers

Paikea.

Attached are some pics of the crab trap and a drawing showing how to cut and fold a standard sheet of mesh to make the trap.

When folding the mesh I clamped the mesh between two pieces of 90 x 45 timber, started the bends by hand then finished them off by hammering the bend against the timber. Worked a treat.

I used Aviary clamps to secure the joints of the trap including the ramps in the openings at either end. A bit fiddly but works well. I used Multi pliers to close the clips but you can get a special tool from Bunnings that would make it a little easier.

I have not tried the trap as yet, waiting for my next trip North to christen it. I got the idea for the trap from some pictures of professional traps sold up North. They were made from a thinner wire mesh and did not look as though they would last too long. The heavier gauge mesh of my trap should last for years. particularly seeing that is has an anode attached.

The entry ramps are not shown as clear as they should be. Basically the sides of the ramp panels are left straight and fastened to the sides of the trap. Then the middle sections of the entry panels are bent to create the opening that the crabs will enter through.

The bait holder was bought from the plumbing department at Bunnings.

Hope this all makes sense.

Edited by Paikea

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bretto but this is strictly a DIY project. Not hard at all, just click on and follow the Visio-Cutting details for crab trap drawing. (its a PDF so you do not need Visio software)

Cheers

Paikea

• 2 years later...