Beach fishing locations-south coast

mat191286

Hey all. :15:

I'm new to beach fishing and I have been fishing at Werri beach lately (about 4-5 times) as I have a caravan in Gerringong and am down there every chance I get, I haven't had any luck yet, I've tried both bait (basic hook and sinker rig and Paternoster rig) and metal lures.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I'm wasting my time at Werri beach or do I just need to keep at it? Also I was wondering if anyone knows of any other good beaches to fish down the south coast area, from about Wollongong to Nowra/sussex.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mat

Hey Mat,

Beach fishing at the start can be a little bit frustrating until you get the hang of it, but once you do is really enjoyable.

Depends really on what you are targeting at the beach? Salmon is usually a common catch found at most (if not all) beaches, not the best to eat but great fun to catch. Everyone has their different methods but I use a simple Paternoster rig with a star sinker at the bottom. Below is an image I quickly google'd for you, and it's roughly what I use.

post-15508-013927200 1335430475_thumb.gif
Gang hooks or even single hooks will work, and I usually use anything from 1/2 a pilchard to a full pilchard. (Common problem with Pilchards tho as you may know is how they go soggy and fall off the hook).
As for the location, I have had regular success from 7-miles beach. It's further south of Werri Beach, after passing the Golf Course on the left and then go over the bridge.
I have been lazy lately to beach fish that far south (I was living in Shellharbour till 2 weeks ago) so regularly went to Bombo beach, just before Kiama.
Most important thing about Beach fishing is to make sure you have found a gutter (something I failed at when I first got introduced to beach fishing).
Let me know if I can assist further, and hope you have some success.

Thanks a lot for the help!

I've fished 7-mile once with no success but I am very glad to hear you have success there, it gives me more confidence, I am spending the weekend down there so I will giving it another crack. where about's on 7-mile do you go? south, middle or north?

Cheers

Mat

I mainly fished the Northern side of the beach. So I would basically drive over the bridge, and then you will yourself on this straight road. Then I think from memory it was the 2nd carpark on the left, it really has been sometime now so I can't remember too well. But as you travel along 7 miles beach you will have all those carparks on the left.

Sorry for my vague memory, but hope it helps.

Ok, I just checked Google Maps to try and re-trace my steps.

I am fairly sure that I am referring to the carpark at Beach Road (So beach road will be to the right and you just turn left).

Good Luck :biggrinthumb:

Thanks again.

Yeah I know the area well, I have been travelling down there for many years, I know exactly where you are talking about.

Thanks again for the advise, I hope to have some luck this weekend, not too sure if the weather will be in my favour.

Cheers

Mat