Salmon Social Fishing

Hooky.

G'day Raiders,

Just wondering what type of fishing all you Fishraiders' that attended the salmon social were doing when outside the heads, ie bait fishing, trolling, lure casting, fly casting. Were you anchored up or drifting?

The reason I ask is that "the boys" want to do more outside (within 2 mile or so) fishing and I'm just trying to piece together what the best ways are to approach the different types of fishing that can be done within the 2 mile radius.

Target species will be anything to start with until we sort out what's what and I guess the methods will involve trolling, lure casting and soaking baits.

P.S. Even if you didn't attend the social, please feel free to throw in any advice you like which may help with fishing within the 2 mile radius or even further out but to start with I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SEE LAND. :1yikes::risata:

Thanks and cheers

Hooky

Guest bluecod
... unusually fast it seemed to me but then he was getting the fish.

61312[/snapback]

I agree with that sentiment Darryl, he seemed to be trolling at y'fin speeds ,but then again he was getting fish, no doubting that. He was trolling the top edge of the drop off in about 8 metres of water that was gin clear, I suspect if the water had been dirty his trolling speed would have been slower.

There again, Ken and I were trolling at only about three knots which acounted for four hook-ups - 1 landed, 2 bust-offs and 1 pullout.

On the shallow reefs, fish as light as you can [sure you will get the occasional bust-off] i.e. light line and little or no sinker or if fishing the deeper reefs generally try to fish the upcurrent edge.

I will probably regret it but here goes al my secrets.

Ive found Troll speeds should be fairly quick round the bower but if the fish are holding deeper, which they are at the moment then a strong actioned minnow has been working best (the fish hold right on the reef edge which isnt very deep so a medium deep diver will get you were you want to be). By far the most popular colour at the moment has been pink. In spring and early summer I have a lot of succses with very small slices and poppers (espically in the wash). Go deeper and wider as the sun comes up and if in close be very careful of the waves as they sneek up on you, espically when you get a hook up. good luck

Phil

Guest hottuna

IF trolling scirted lures then you "need" to be at the 7 to 9knot mark to get them working, which i suspect Dean was doing.

Should have seen the sambos in broken bay sunday, They where taking white slugs and poppers with gusto. Landed 8 with in 1hr, awesome stuff. Last 2 hours of the runout.

dan

Hi Hooky,

Geoff and I have had some success trolling Spanyid Manics around the place, but down south from the Hacking.

They have a good action and the kings seem to like them when trolled at about 5 knots or so.

You can also cast them into the wash and with the action they have you don't have to rip the back at a million miles an hour. A slower retrieve on them is fine.

Are you planning to head outside (2 mile radius) in your Quinny?? :1yikes:

Cheers,

Guest bluecod

Should have seen the sambos in broken bay sunday, They where taking white slugs and poppers with gusto. Landed 8 with in 1hr, awesome stuff. Last 2 hours of the runout.

dan

61368[/snapback]

AARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.

We were in the wrong place. Bugger!

Are you planning to head outside (2 mile radius) in your Quinny?? :1yikes:

Cheers,

61371[/snapback]

G'day Motty

No thankyou, not at all. :risata: Although I did see a few boats similar to mine out there on the weekend and even one or two that may have been smaller???

More or less it will be in a mates 4.75m Seajay.

Just trying to score info on how to approach fishing outside to make things a bit easier.

I don't need to be heading out and not knowing what to do or look out for. :1prop:

Always willing to swallow my pride and say I'm new to it and don't know where to start rather than go like a bull at a gate and stuff up and not enjoy the days outing.

We've been out to Jibbon and caught a few different types of fish but we really didn't know what to look for and/or do to make a success of the trip.

BTW, the 4 metre swell didn't help. :hitsfan:

Thanks for the info guys, the more the merrier. :thumbup:

cheers

Hooky

Hi Hooky,

Glad to hear it my friend. :biggrin2:

The break on Jibbon would have been VERY big with a 4mtr swell running :1yikes:

Generally we troll around the bommie and then down south stopping at spots we like to bottom bash, jig plastics and metals and cast into the wash of the headlands.

These guys were fishing EXTREMELY close one day we were down there with their leccie. They were just on the good side of the break on the headlands throwing berley bombs for pigs. This pic was taken just near Marley Beach- I wouldn't recommend it... check out the white water at the front of their boat :1prop:

post-237-1123545341_thumb.jpeg

It makes for a brilliant day on the water out there, even if the fish don't play or we get plagued by Jackets, Sweep and Pike!! :risata::risata:

If you see us down that way come over and say G'day! :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Edited by mottyman

The national park south of Port Hacking is good for trolling close in for kingies and bonito havent done it for a while so it should be better now for kings There is also some good flattie drifts off the beaches Ill give you a rundown on how to do it next time we catch up

Guest bluecod

These guys were fishing EXTREMELY close one day we were down there with their leccie. They were just on the good side of the break on the headlands throwing berley bombs for pigs. This pic was taken just near Marley Beach- I wouldn't recommend it... check out the white water at the front of their boat :1prop:

61381[/snapback]

I wouldn't recommend it either, unless you know the area and have complete faith in your boat/motor - those guys are sitting over about 30 foot of water and the hardest thing in that spot is to stay in close as the water coming off the rocks keeps pushing you out.

Its an awesome bit of coastline down there with some great wash locations to fish. We fish it from a mate's boat and although he's been fishing it for over 30 years we are on constant alert - its not a place for the inexperienced nor is it a relaxing thing to do, unless you find being on 100% adrenaline flow a relaxing thing.