Alternative to carpet for floor covering?

Paikea

Hi Has anyone used Regupol 3 or 4mm rubber floor covering in their boat?

I am searching for something that is non slip, easy to clean and looks good.

Also, are there any floor layers who will install this product in a boat?

Thanks

Paikea

I looked at Clark rubber but did not see anything that appealed to me. Don't know about fake teak, I think that I would prefer a product that has the colour right through. Like the Regupol.

Cheers

Paikea

Have you looked at the fake teak?

Also maybe take a wander through Clark Rubber

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I got a quote for the "fake Teak" from a Aus supplier and it came in a do it yourself kit. The product alone without the glue was $290 per s/ metre. Was going to cost me nearly 3k with all materials I needed. I'll stick with the carpet.

Noel

REGUPOL all the way... comes in rolls like carpet in many colours and patters. they will ship anywhere from sydney
check their website out, I have mine glued down permanntly tho in cut out pattern so I have the thin one 3mm nome

I love it could never go back now to anything else

no slip and so so easy to clean no damage by fuel either

post-16878-0-73082900-1374438575_thumb.jpg

post-16878-0-64228000-1374438591_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the response and pics on REGUPOL. Nice boat!

I love the look of it in your boat, would appreciate details of the pattern/colour that you used and also what glue to use?

Cheers

Paikea

this is the 3mm granite nome...best I think. They will send you sample pieces about 8 inch squares so you can see before you buy if you call them.

careful with all the different patterns as some use a bigger rubber grain so then there can be small crevices where fish crap could build up..

this on is one up from smallest so there is bit extra grip too...the smallest fine grain i think may be too slippery

dont get black...or bbq plate in summer

I used the 2 part expoxy glue they can supply, its not that expensive... only watch out is that it sets REAL REAL fast once you add the catalyst so you have to work very quick or in small sections or you be screwed

Thats the same stuff we used to have in the chem labs at school. If they use it where acids and other chemicals are used, it'll be awesome for the boat. Good grip, non porous and easy to clean. Would it dry up at all under the sun? The sun and general heat usually kills rubber.

I just got details from the supplier. Cost is $66.00 per Sq M + GST & Freight..

The sheeting is !.25M wide. My floor will need a total of 7.5 LM that will cost $680.00 incl GST. Not cheap!

They are sending out some samples and have supplied the names of people who will lay the floor. Although it does not look as though it would be all that difficult to do.

Cheers

Paikea

true bit more expensive than carpet but best money I ever spent when u see finished product and use it. I will never go back to carpet again.

1 year down and still looks new, just soap and broom scrub and hose out dry in 20 mins and not slippery when wet

easy to lay down so long as you quick with their supplied 2 part glue

I have just received samples of the grey and blue flecked Regupol. Looks and feels great, but, I am not too happy about gluing the sheeting down with a two pack glue that will be almost impossible to remove if I ever need to re[lace/repair the floor. Also, the glue adds a fair sum to the overall price.

Has anyone used this product as loose mats? That is, just laid in place without glue. The samples appear to lie quite flat, no lifting or curling so why not have it as loose mats?

The alternative that I am still considering is Vinalyte PVC tubing mats which seems a good option. Used as loose mats, same width as Regupol, a little cheaper and claimed to be anti fatigue due to the 10mm thick soft nature of the tubing.

Anyone comment?

Cheers

Paikea

if u want to use loosa mat see if u can get colour you want in a bit thicker than the 3mm and it will sit fine under tis own weight without any chance of slip under weight...plenty other designs there in the brochure that much thicker

i didnt have to worry about permanent as I cant ift my solid floor anyways with sealed air chambers underneath

I just got details from the supplier. Cost is $66.00 per Sq M + GST & Freight..

The sheeting is !.25M wide. My floor will need a total of 7.5 LM that will cost $680.00 incl GST. Not cheap!

They are sending out some samples and have supplied the names of people who will lay the floor. Although it does not look as though it would be all that difficult to do.

Cheers

Paikea

I have had Regupol flooring in my little haines for 9yrs and its only just starting to lift in a few spots. Mine is stuck down with standard contact cement. I have 4.5mm I believe and it is so much better than carpet regarding grip which is incredible wet or dry, hooks on the deck and importantly stain and scent absorbtion is non existent.

A few mates have also installed it in their bigger boats and are stoked to say the least. with a life span over 10yrs it seems relatively cheap to me as you wont have to replace it (my previous carpet was lucky to last 5yrs either due to wear or smell absorbtion).

Not to bad to fit, would be a lot easier on a bigger more open boat. Thoroughly recommend.

The tube mats are forever getting crap caught in them like scales and fish smuck along with sinkers and hooks. I also found it tends to slip on the deck once wet.

IMG_1296__600_x_450_.jpg

Cheers

Marlin

Edited by Marlin01

"The tube mats are forever getting crap caught in them like scales and fish smuck along with sinkers and hooks. I also found it tends to slip"

Thats also the reason I didnt got the tube matting route ( they use this stuff in barcrushers too)... endless crap stuck underneath it falling thru gaps and needing to lift it

if you want to lift out all the time then maybe not problem for you either

Wow, I was not aware that the tube matting has problems with "stuff" getting underneath it. That does change the situation no end.

So it looks like Regupol will get the nod as soon as I can sneak enough brass out of the joint account. Now what can I call it that will not raise suspicion the it is for "the boat". (Joking, I am blessed with a very understanding better half)

Thank you all for your input to this topic, much appreciated.

Cheers

Paikea

Obey1

I looked into Seadek but they only make it in small panels which means that you have to have blank strips between each panel. It looks fine in the examples that they show however I prefer a full cover over the floor.

Mangus 37

Thanks for the heads up on the Epoxy Flake flooring, it looks great on the various websites that advertise it. Also a wide range of colours to choose from

Will be interested in you posting details of how it works for you once you have had a few fish on the deck etc.

I am currently fitting some interlocking 60 x 60cm panels of rubber flooring about 30mm thick over the entire floor. They were used at my daughter wedding held in a macadamia farm in Northern NSW to provide a dry floor for the area leading into the marque tent. I had forgotten all about them till I found 4 of them in my garage. A quick call to my son in law revealed that he has lots more so I will be collecting enough to cover the floor of my boat when I go up to visit the kids in two weeks time.

Probably not the final flooring that I will install, but hey, the price is right ($0.00) and it feels great underfoot.

I will post some pics when I get back and lay the whole floor.

Cheers

Paikea

• 1 year later...