Are we going to fish out browns with electric reels

carpet

Its a hard one. I have an electric too. There are bag limits in place and if everyone sticks to the bag limits or less we should be ok in my opinion. Also i dont think having electrics changes the matter, Just because you have electrics doesnt mean we are taking more than the limits or more than anyone who has been fishing with the big deck winches for years.

Having an electric does make it easier but if they where not around and we knew what we can get out there, with the gear we have these days we would be doing it with a 50W tiagra 2speed spooled with the same braid we are running and on the same deep drop rods but with a straight but wouldnt we ? And i am planning to do this in the near future

( Catch a big blue eye on conventional rod and reel ).

And back to the bag limits, Why can we only take 2 gemmies but if we can catch 5 Blue eye only we are allowed 5 per person. I think this is ridiculous, Not saying i want to take 5 blue eye but the gemmies are a pest out there, i am normally trying to get away from them to give the blue eye a chance. There is alot more gemmies than blue eye out there.

And than there's the fact that its no different to any other kind of fishing. Sometimes they are there and sometimes there not. Its not that they are not there its like everything else they feed around certain times, The big females are around at certain times of the year and they hang around in certain water. For example earlier this year i was fishing off bermagui and in 3 drops i got an 18kg and a 10 kg blue eye and 2 gem fish after those three drops the decision was made to STOP DROPPING ( as you can only eat so much fish.) with fish showing on the sounder everywhere. 3 days later i went to the exact same mark. With a different current running there was not a fish to be seen on the sounder and didnt lose a bait.

We should all just have some control and as hard as it is when they are biting, make the decision to stop dropping when you have enough for a feed.

#%^& sorry about the essay

post-17313-0-52113900-1374653314_thumb.jpg

Dave

You must remember Browns is just a pimple on the ocean floor. Certainly it's proximity to Sydney means it get a bit more pressure than other areas but given the weather and current limitations that make it unfishable for many days at a time we really don't do much to a fish stock that is migratory. Also consider the surrounding areas of Browns (probably 90% or boat fish the peak area only) that goes virtually unfished it should mean fish from the near vicinity should replenish those taken from the peak of the mountain. Of course this all depends on people abiding by the rules. Provided people abide by the rules meaning 3 hooks per rig and bag limits then fish stocks should be sustainable.

Gemfish and blueye are travelling fish browns is just a stop over for this fish as they travel down the coast in the currents . Certain times in the year like now is the spawning season for blueye and gemfish and the pinnacles and seamounts up and down the coast. I think electric reels do put a dent in these as the old days you appreciated catching fish using a deckwinch . Well its the modern era and electrics are in , as long as bag limits are fished correctly it should still be a viable fishery for our grandkids .

How about this for thought, out at Browns this time of year the sharks are in big numbers how many fish do you think they eat a day not to mention following the migration of these fish, like the others if people follow bag limits that are in place the fish will be fine, maybe the sharks need to learn about bag limits to lol

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Russell Kennedy from Botany bay was on of the first charter boats who used to bottom fish. Occasionally when the weather was perfect he used to troll out at 8 knots almost top speed ,fish the bottom with winches then another 4 hour trip in. Does that mean faster boats mean longer hours fishing therefore more pressure on stocks as well? (seeing he's no longer chartering I hope I didn't break rules)

• 2 weeks later...

I went deep sea in cairns, caught a baby yellow fin and I honestly I was excited to catch the fish but I didn't enjoy it.

It was very tiring, felt like I'm bringing in a dead weight.

I guess having electric reels will allow you to conserve some strength bring in lines so I say great technology... but as the world gets fatter do we really need another tech to make us lazy... for me YES :)

With the explosion in the production of bigger aluminum & fiberglass trailerboats boats with bigger fuel tanks has definitely increased the number of trailer boats both on the mountain & wider chasing pelagics. Say 10 years ago the biggest say 6m Quintrex only had 120 litre fuel tanks & older style fuel guzzling 2 stroke motors that restricted the distance boats travelled & for many people browns was a very long way to go. Now with most new boats holding 200+ liters & motors that burn half the fuel the mountain is easily reachable. The number of boats has definitely increased & the pros that used to fish there every Sunday for the Monday morning markets don't even bother anymore due to the numbers. You definitely have to say that with more boats & electric reels (& yes we have 1) the fish stocks have to be hit harder! Wether or not this is going to have any long term effect on fish stocks we will only have to wait & see.

Cheers

Damo

Electric reels arnt the problem. All an electric reel does is save your arms and help you reach your bag limit quicker. The real problem is as damo has mentioned, the number of weekend warriors. 71 boats on the mountain the other sunday. How much damage does that do. Imagine if you could dam an area around the mountain, so there was no water. How much crap would you find on the bottom?

Weekend Warrior ????, I do my 70hrs a week, If the weekend is the only time I get to go to Browns...........well I'm one of them. I'm not as lucky as most that can fish when ever they want. Isn't it about limits and conservation. If you get 71 on the weekend and 200 throughout the week over the other 5 days of the week, isn't that the same! Bag limits! That's what they are there for. Can't control how many people Bag out. FYI......I take 1.

Weekend Warrior ????, I do my 70hrs a week, If the weekend is the only time I get to go to Browns...........well I'm one of them. I'm not as lucky as most that can fish when ever they want. Isn't it about limits and conservation. If you get 71 on the weekend and 200 throughout the week over the other 5 days of the week, isn't that the same! Bag limits! That's what they are there for. Can't control how many people Bag out. FYI......I take 1.

I agree diamondback! It should all be about conservation and limits. Good luck to the rec fisho/weekend warrior that spends his hard earn on licenses, petrol, bait, electric reel etc and has the ability to fish at browns! Hope he catches what he is looking for, as long as he stays within the limits! Be it on the weekend or not!

Cheers scratchie!!!