The importance of maintenance

Fab1

Hi everyone,

On Saturday at around midnight after leaving a BBQ in Wollongong and going up Mt Ousley through thick fog I came across a elderly couple pulled over on the side of the road just after a bend in which the gentleman waved me down and looked a bit frightened.

Mind you he was lucky I didn't run him over as you could barely see anything.

After I safely pulled over with my hazards flashing and warning triangles set out I went over to the man to see what was the problem.

On approach to his combo I noticed no hazards or tail lights were on.

I asked him what had happened and his reply was that his car had overheated so he decided to pull over on the bend of all places and his drivers side mirror was ripped of by a passing truck.

Any way I got my trusty torch and asked him if I could have a look and on inspection I found a burst heater hose that was so old it felt like jelly that I replaced with a new one that I carry spare.

I decided to take a look at his lights and was shocked to find the trailer plug was disconnected and worn down to nothing from dragging on the road which I replaced with yet again with my spare.

Then I noticed his tyres looked flat,yep they were and to top it off one tyres inside edge was bald down to the steel belt.

So I changed it with his spare for him and inflated them with my tyre inflator that I carry and yep his spare was low on pressure and after they thanked me very much I sent him and his wife on there way.

Now this could have ended very differently for this elderly couple.

Maintain your vehicles and always carry spares.

Fabian.

And eldery on an Australian Pension probably they would be below the poverty line which is why maybe things have been neglected, great work helping them out.

Remember, the government doesn't care for anyone that has worked and paid taxes all their lives, they expect them to live on nothing.