Sambo Bonanza

Mousse

After a couple of quiet trips off the rocks targeting Pigs and Groper, I decided to use a Plan B next time I went, and use 2 rods.

The first would be my regular outfit, Alvey 650 and running sinker straight down to hook. Peeled banana Prawns as bait and just casting into the wash and berlying with bread.

The second is a Penn 750 Slammer, and this I rigged swivel, float, swivel, sinker, swivel, long trace and 3 ganged mustad hooks. Whole Pilly as bait.

First few hours were really quite, and I needed to keep reeling in the Penn to cast out further to my right as the current had my float way off to my left in a few minutes. I kept persisting with this right to left drifting...and then it all started to happen! The penn drag started screaming so I ran to grab the rod and set the hook, but I heard a grind in the reel as I did so, and all of my drag was gone! What a time for my reel to break!

After a few minutes of swearing to myself, and considering what to do, I decided to rig the Alvey like I had the Penn. So out it went...first cast. ...Posted Image

Solid Sambo! Finally getting some action I was eager to get my line out again, so rigged another pilly and out went the second cast....Posted Image

Third....Posted Image

And fourth and last! Posted Image

A great result after a hard day...fishcakes for a week!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guys, any tips on what else I can target using this common rig? Maybe a different bait?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk mobile

Edited by Mousse

Speaking of yakkas...Ive never tried for or caught yakkas before. I actually have a couple of unopened Sabiki rigs I got with a fishing mag.

Can I get yakkas using these with tiny bits of pilly pieces off the rocks? Or are they generally only used off jettys and piers and so forth?

Hi mate, your set up sound complicated

I usually just go; float stopper, float, sinker, swivel, leader, hook (various size & style pending what I am doing that day) - and this seems to work just find

Any particular reason why you are using so many swivels?

I am not having a go, just curious

Hi Jrakasp,

No real reason.

Sometimes I find if I dont have a swivel between the float and sinker, the force of the sinker hitting up against the float from casting dislodges the plastic tubing inside the float.

Stoppers work, I just didnt have any big enough so they didnt pass through the float with me that day.

Thanks groper.

They do pull hard at that size. I bled them straight away and eaten later that night. Removed all the red meat.

I don't think they're vile...but they definitely aren't worth all the prep to cook.