How to get the Sweep to p!#s off!

filthmonger

Found something very interesting yesterday. Was fishing for yakkas just around from Molieaux Point where the tugs park. Berleyed up with crushed pillys and was using a 1 longshank with a tiny bit of pilly as bait. Anyway, anyone who has fished here for yakkas knows how much of a pest the sweep here are. Too fast and too thick for the yakkas to get a look in. Frustration setting in and about to anchor up and leave i catch a nice bream about 30cm. Since the pillys i had were f-ing terrible mushy ones that dont stay on i decide to cut him up and use him as bait. Anyway down goes the bait and the sweep dont even look at it and i actually manage to get it down to where the yakkas are holding. On straight away to a nice size livie. After that was getting one every cast and the sweep didnt want a bar of the bream!!

Something to keep in mind!

Normally i wouldnt as i love bream and usually let em go regardless of size.

It's a bit like using flatty tails to catch flatties, it's actually an excellent bait for them but I find it hard to bring myself to doing it.

Hey filthmonger.

Very interesting find.

It's just that it seems that you are using food-fish to catch baitfish, rather than the other way around.

Still it's interesting to know.

I wonder if using the same concept, if sweep eat sweep fillets ?

If not, then you're on a winner...

But I like your what-if thinking...

I thrive on it....

Like what if I bought some really expensive fishing gear for myself and didn't tell the wife ?

Well OK - I gotta draw the 'what-if' line somewhere....else what-if she decides to trade ME in for a working model.....

OK maybe I'll leave the expensive gear alone....

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Hey Filthy,

Where are you launching from to get into B'bay.

Been thinking of heading that way and was going to use Kurnell ramp but have heard its not too good even after the upgrade.

I figured we have a similar sized boat, so your knowledge might save me some trial and error.

Cheers mate

Choicebro

Have the same problem with sweep up at broughton isl. and yes they do eat their own. Interesting about the bream though???

I normally chuck a handful of pellets left and drop line to the right, works for a little while!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey Filthy,

Where are you launching from to get into B'bay.

Been thinking of heading that way and was going to use Kurnell ramp but have heard its not too good even after the upgrade.

I figured we have a similar sized boat, so your knowledge might save me some trial and error.

Cheers mate

Choicebro

DO NOT USE THE KURNELL BOAT RAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is completely covered in sand, isnt anywhere near long enough (they had to protect the precious seagrass that grows in the area pfffffffttt) and the surrounding area is about 0.4 deep or less depending on the tide. The ramp is a complete joke, ive seen people lose their cars here sliding into the water, popped tyres and boggings.

A much better ramp is hole in the wall just to the left of Taren Point brdge near the entrance to Sylvania Waters canals, 2 lanes, good jetty if your by yourself, ample parking. Let me know if your heading out mate i might be able to point you in the direction of some good fishing.

DO NOT USE THE KURNELL BOAT RAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is completely covered in sand, isnt anywhere near long enough (they had to protect the precious seagrass that grows in the area pfffffffttt) and the surrounding area is about 0.4 deep or less depending on the tide. The ramp is a complete joke, ive seen people lose their cars here sliding into the water, popped tyres and boggings.

A much better ramp is hole in the wall just to the left of Taren Point brdge near the entrance to Sylvania Waters canals, 2 lanes, good jetty if your by yourself, ample parking. Let me know if your heading out mate i might be able to point you in the direction of some good fishing.

Thanks for the heads up mate, much appreciated as always.

Will let you know when I'm going to hit the area.

Cheers

Choicebro

Big Bream don't mind a slab of Sweep either.

And big Jew will eat a live sweep.

Put a hook in one while you're getting livies &

you may be surprised.

As for bream I'm glad they make a good bait for something.

Cheers,

Grant.