Stinger hook rig: example (nbdshroom)

VBCB

Materials and tools you might need:

post-30692-0-81882800-1376105150_thumb.jpg

First rig, the coarse one:

Nothing will be concealed in that rig, the stinger trace will be outside the lure and visible, I found it not to be a problem, and if I know the area is rich in flatheads or choppers, I use this one as it takes less than 1 minute to be done.

post-30692-0-95932700-1376105152_thumb.jpg

A bit of nylon (usually 10+ lb), tie a uni knot that you will attach to your jig head eye (around the eye base, like a collar).

post-30692-0-80273800-1376105154_thumb.jpg

Then, you'll choose a length adequate to the lure you are using, I personally tie a blood knot to the little treble, as I can know exactly where it is gonna seat on the lure.

post-30692-0-82550600-1376105156_thumb.jpg

Pinch one hook of the treble in the tail, that is it !

post-30692-0-20738500-1376105158_thumb.jpg

If little toothy fishes are destroying it, do again, you don't need to remove the lure, tie your uni knot, lure is going through the loop then pull the nylon around the eye, bla bla bla.

Second rig, the finesse one:

That one takes a bit more time to do, I usually prepare them before the session, as they might be a pain if your hands are wet, there is wind and so on...

Same process though, except you start by concealing the trace inside the lure with a needle, then you tie your uni knot. This requires a bit of sacrificial trace to work comfortably, that lure is a 4" and I take 25 cm of trace to be comfortable.

post-30692-0-30847800-1376105293_thumb.jpg post-30692-0-23703900-1376105295_thumb.jpg

Your jig head hook is gonna follow the needle hole naturally, therefore be lined up with your trace.

post-30692-0-76226700-1376105296_thumb.jpg

the trace should pop out the lure "ass hole" approximately, and if you tie a beautiful little blood knot you should only have a centimetre or less of trace outside the lure, making the thing nearly entirely concealed.

post-30692-0-20217300-1376105298_thumb.jpg

As I said, if you know your lure is gonna be smashed by a 20 cm chopper within the first minutes, I wouldn't bother doing that one.

These things can be applied to all sort of plastics, and for jewfish particularly. I found it to be useless for pelagics, especially kingies when I'm fishing the stones, keep it simple, when they go for it they will slam it anyway.

The 2 hooks presented on the pictures are just here to show you have choice, if you know you are fishing a spot with touchy whitings the small one is better, if you know you are likely to hook horses breams, the reinforced big one might be better.

Don't go too big as the rig becomes gross and the stinger might kill the lure's swim. Don't get too close from the tail neither, except if the lure still behaves normally, they usually don't really like it though.

Once again, hope it will help, don't hesitate to say if something is not clear or doesn't make sense.

Forgot to mention, very glad to see the site is not a simple bragging board and some people are actually curious and want to know more about this kind of things. That is cool. Thanks.

I use them with my live baits. Yellowtail especially you get the back half of the fish taken off. A good quantity of fish I caught have been using similar approach. I find the proper stinger hooks are much better to set and hold. They're like a treble hook but one of the points is flipped. Ive seen people rig up small plastics with stingers for bream.

If fish are in a frenzy on the surface they will often attack a poor swimming plastic. Ive caught fish on plastics falling off the hook after a previous bite.

Really great write up, I've tried a few variations on plastic worms for bream, I'd be interested in trying the internal version if I can find a needle thin enough in the wife's sewing kit.