Stainless cutters and/or long-nosed pliers

adkel53

Can anyone recommend a brand of reasonably priced stainless cutters or long-nosed pliers that will stand up to the rigours of salt water boating without rusting within a few weeks? My last pair of "stainless" pliers are a rusty mess. Surely someone makes a truly stainless pair at a reasonable price.

I have a set of stainless pliers I bought from the local tackle store for about $20, that was 2 years ago.

After many sets I've discovered 1 thing. You need to look after them. You can't get them wet with salt water and just leave them at the bottom of your bag. They need to be sprayed regularly and looked after, which is well worth it when you need them.

Harry

Say $20-$25?

Take a look at Tackle Rat's pliers.

They range from $15 to $40 and they're made of surgical stainless steel.

After many sets I've discovered 1 thing. You need to look after them. You can't get them wet with salt water and just leave them at the bottom of your bag. They need to be sprayed regularly and looked after

You know why you have to look after them? It's because most of the pliers on the market today are made with low quality stainless.

I have a set of needle nose pliers that I bought 20 years ago for $30, expensive for pliers back then, and after having sat at the bottom of the bag for years they only have superficial surface corrosion, which is easily removed.

Edited by reLapse

I have a pair of stainless long nose/split rig pliers I leave on the boat and never wash. They are at least 8 years old, not a spot of any rust and are free to open and close as the first day. They dont have a brand name on them but I got them from Com pleat Angler in a plastic packet with cardboard on the back. $30-$40 dollars or something like that.

Try looking for some brass ones, much more corrosion resistant. Sorry can't help much with where to find new ones.I found an old set in the markets at Flemington, but unfortunately, just like stainless steel, they don't float :05:

brass pliers??

you cant buy quality trade grade pliers for $20-25, so lower production stainless fishing pliers must cost more.

mine are 10 years plus with signs of wear as expected, and with some TLC can be resurrected after periods of neglect.

Yes they were brass pliers. Pretty old. Never seen any for sale anywhere new. Apparently they were used for blasting/mining. Just done a quick google search and turns out old beach worming pliers used to be made of brass as well.

I spent $40 on my "stainless" pliers from a pretty popular store about 2 hours north of Port Macquarie, and they started to rust after 2 weeks... I rang them up to ask, "Its stainless, why is it rusting?" In a non professional and condescending manner, the bloke says "mate you spent $40 on pliers what do you expect from them? If you want the premium quality ones you'd need to spend $300+" - so I just hung up on him and never purchased anymore fishing gear from them.

Seems like I'm not the only one bemoaning the quality of the "stainless" steel used in lots of fishing gear. I have ordered a pair of the Tackle Rats ones from a store in QLD. $27.95 plus $10 postage. Might report back in a couple of months when i have some idea of their claim to be stainless.

The old Alvey worming pliers were indeed brass and were an excellent product. Unfortunately mine are somewhere on Steamers Beach south of Jervis Bay!

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of, I just spray on the axle section cause over time it does seize up due to rust.

cheers thanks. I find that's the part that rusts most too and will eventually just snap on cheap pliers.

Gotta agree with tasksta though. You can get a dozen cheap pliers for the price of a nice 'stainless' steel one. I've found the cheap pliers are fine for estuary stuff and when the edge goes blunt or the rust gets too bad i just chuck them in the recycle and get a new pair.

Maybe that's just cause i'm a poor uni student though!