Trolling Squid Jigs

The Incredible Hull

I purchased some jigs that weight 50 grams, which is very heavy and I think ideal for trolling.

Has anyone ever tried to troll a squid jig? If so, how did you go and what tips can you offer?

I've never caught one on the troll with a squid jig, but have caught one on a soft plastic when trolling. I usually have out a sleeper when sp fishing which comes good 1 out of 2 trips out.

Keen to hear how you go; good luck!

Hi Mate, saw an episode of You Fish on TVS recently where they were trawling for squid. He basically just put the boat just in gear for a second or two then knocked it back to idle to keep himself slowly moving over the area. They pulled a few so it can be done. I've certainly had a couple of times where I've pulled up to a location and cast back into an area i just motored over an hooked up almost straight away so i certainly dont think the motor bugs them that much if they are in the mood.

As for those 50g jigs might be better for use in deeper locations to get you down. Working them in the shallows I think you'll need to keep them moving far to fast to really work them effectively.

Last year while I was trolling a pilchard, by skipping it along the surface near Jibbon Point in the early morning, something grabbed the pillie. Thought it was weed, but it was a large squid. He was just hooked in one of the tentacles, and as he neared the boat, the hook came free, and that was the last I saw of him.