Water pump problem

pure spirit

Hi all looking for a few ideas / fixes

Have not had the boat in the water for about 6 month (big reno at my place) when i last cleaned it down i did a normal flush etc to be honest i didn't expect it to be so long between trips.

Got it out today to prepare to head out tomorrow, change the gear oil and throught i'd give it a quick run with ear muffs to make sure i started up fine rather than stuff around on the ramp etc etc.

Kicked over pretty much straight way, but the water flow was only a fine spray. Stopped the engine removed the spray cap from the hose and clear a bit of white / clear buildup, ran the engine again ran solid of a moment then stopped. went to clear it again but nothing to clear. it would seem i have salt / cal buildup.

Have tried it in a deep tub as well as muffs, only for a short moment 10-20 sec as i don't want to risk a over heat.

Any suggestions ? before i go down the put a new pump in option / loss the day on the water i was hoping to have this week

it's a yamaha 90 2 stroke

Guest Aussie007

u might not be giving the engine long enough to pump the water thru its system, try a little longer on the muffs and use more water pressure make sure there and no kinks in the hose and that the muffs are fitted over the intakes on the gearbox properly

Edited by gazza

Hi mate. From which exit point was the water a "fine Spray"? How is the water flow on all exit points such as the propeller/exhaust hole and behind the leg? You may just have a partially blocked tell tale which used to happen on my old Yammie all the time. A quick squirt up there with an air compressor done the trick.

If you have little or no flow out the exhuast outlet then your pump is likely gone and dont run it until its replaced.

Guest Aussie007

i personally wouldnt use a compressor it has its place in the workshop, u could dislodge a nice chunk of calcium and place it in and around the impeller and chew up the impeller or dislodge any other crap thats in side the engine

if this guy is using the proper flushing technique i guess the only way is to remove the head and thermostat to check how bad the build up is

just gave it a bit of time (few runs of 30 seconds) with the muffs and it came good. just had me worried as it normally starts straight up.

now I'm on to the next problem my steering has frozen up, but think i'll be right with this just ran out of day light..

thanks for all your suggestions