VHF Radio - Use Tips

vo2c88

Dear Raiders,

I was just wondering in relation to VHF radios is it possible to transmit and receive across all channels?

I was out on the weekend and tried connecting with another colleagues boats across a number of channels however I could not transmit or receive other than through 21,22 I could hear everything on channel 16.

Just wondering are there specific channels which cannot be transmitted across or vice versa?

Your assistance will be appreciated!

Regards

vo2c88

transmitting across all channels should only be passable if the emergency button has been activated (if you have one that is)

It sounds to me that you have set your radio to TRI WATCH allowing you to receive all transmissions on 3 selected channels including channel 16 (in this case 21,22 and 16) . if you transmit on either dual watch (DW) or tri watch (TW) the transmission is only on 16.

Brett

after reading your post again it seems as your situation is opposite to what I was thinking!

the image in the link is available as a sticker from RMS (waterways) Very helpful

http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Industry%20Partnerships/Information/pdf/VHF%20marine%20radio%20sticker.PDF

Edited by oz_brett

Thanks Brett. so based on the sticker Port operation Channels and commercial fishing channels cannot be used between recreational boats unless being part of the other categories? That may explain the reason why it wasn't working.

Thanks Brett.

Much appreciated!

Vic

Catchin Jack no I havnt I registered with marine rescue to do a course however I can assure you I use the radio in a moderate way and try not use unless required. some people treat it like a joke.

Regards

Vo2c88

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

i did the course about 100 years ago, it was run by Spectrum Management Agency back then. Basically you went over the handbook for radiotelephone ship station operators

then sat for an exam over a few nights. Back then I believe it was compulsory if you wanted to use VHF, there was also no such thing as a mobile phone so we also used VHF Seaphone for ship to shore

calls, was pretty cool then, a bit like smoking, not so cool now :smoke:

I contacted the ACMA, they also have the updated handbook available as a PDF - I have no idea whether the course is still compusory for VHF, I am thinking not though.....

Attached is the letter from ACMA and with it came all the stickers, reference cards and a DVD worth watching, good refresher. Its also worth contacting your local marine rescue

on 16 initially and get your radio checked once and a while.

https://www.amc.edu.au/handbooks

I thought that all channels were actually open but there were only a few that recreational users are supposed to use? The stickers tell you which channels but I wasn't aware of your VHF radio being electronically blocked in any way but I could be wrong as I have never tried the commercial channels.

Anyhow, ACMA have all the info on VHF;

www.acma.gov.au/vhfmarine

Below is the email I received from them;

Good morning

I refer to your request for the VHF marine radio channel sticker. The sticker has been mailed to you.

Just in case you have not seen it before, I have also attached a link to our marine radio e-bulletins. http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Consumer-info/All-about-spectrum/Marine-and-Amateur-Radio/subscribe-to-the-marine-radio-ebulletin-i-acma

Scroll down past the subscription section and the previous bulletins are available from there.

We would love you to share it with your colleagues and friends. Of course complete the subscription section if you think it will be useful for you. The most recent bulletin was published in January and included a link to our latest information video “Digital Selective Calling” You can also view it on our VHF marine radio information page www.acma.gov.au/vhfmarine.

We are also happy for you to share or post on social media sites any of the links on this page

Thanks for your interest in marine radio. If you have any comments or require further material please let us know at marineradio@acma.gov.au

post-33700-0-63108300-1398374577_thumb.jpg