Fishing Ban Article

Grantm

Did anyone read Steve Starlings article on fising bans in the Fishing Monthy mag?

He basically said that he believes that the Fisheries Department were trying to impose a 'hook and line' policy which would deem angling to be 'key reason' (or something to that effect) for the depletion of endagered fish stocks in NSW and VIC waterways.

Basically Steve Starling is concerned that the do gooders are trying to ban recreational fishing saying its the cause of low fish stocks etc. Documents to this affect have already been drafted and Starlo has seen them. He is very concerned - should we be too? He is so concerned that he put the Names and numbers of the appropriate people in the Fishereies Dept and urged people to contact them with their concerns.

I really dont know how much truth or accuracy is in all of this its just what I read. The Fisheries reckon Starlo is over-reacting and say not to worry. I also dont know if this topic has been posted but I couldnt find it.

Can anyone shed ant light ? JO do you know anything?

Cheers :D

Its on the level! Its called a Key Threating Process, or KTP for short. The Fishing Party has been vocal about this for a while. You can read more about it HERE!

You see, they gladly lump line fishing in there as a KTP, but how about other things such as water salinity, sewrage outfalls, urban runoff and some aspects of eco-tourism such as scuba diving? These should all be taken into consideration as a KTP! There should be a raft of issues that are looked at.

If they think that line fishing is a KTP, why can't anyone back up their claims with scientific evidence? :confusuion: At this stage it is all fuelled by speculation and innuendo. Not good enough! :nono:

Yet another reason for us, as recreational fishers, to get motivated to do something about it! Fishos are famous for NEVER being able to agree on one thing. But if we don't agree that we are being put to the wall, then maybe we deserve what we get! :-mad2

If you want to do something, come and help me on Polling day by manning a booth. Why dont you come down and MAKE the news rather than just watching it!

Jo silly me it was Modern Fishing and it was Nov 03 as well! Geez I didnt realize I picked up an oldie I hadnt read yet.

Thanks for the input it does sound like a bit of a worry. It sounds like people with no real idea are making decisions when they shouldn't be.

As for working at a polling booth - well, i'd rather masterbate with a cheese grater ! Seriously time is not on my side for that sort of thing. It does not mean I dont care or support the cause.

I will however give the fishing party my vote if they can sort that shitfight out. Im more than happy to do that and so should all anglers who want to keep their sport alive.

I know it seems some people (like me) are all talk and no action but at least ill give support from my vote. Lifestyle and committments just doesnt allow me (and a lot of others) to get heavily involved but please understand the support is there and youve gotta start somewhere.

Good luck with it youve got my support. :ohyeh: