Rod Selection Help =)

victorski

Howdy everyone!

I'm looking to do some fishing off the rocks and I am hoping to target kingfish (with live bait), Salmon and Luderick and have been looking at the Samaki Zing Surf 10'6 or the 12ft, 12-25lb.

I have a Sustain FG 6000 and an Alvey 475B Luderick Special which I intend to use as the reels.

Would either of these rods are suitable or would I need a separate rod for Luderick ?

Cheers,
Victor

Perfect thanks luderick!

I would like catch other species but I think primarily it will be used for luderick, could it be used for other species or should I get a different rod ?
I am located in the eastern suburbs of Sydney (Coogee) do you have any idea which shops stock them? I can't seem to find any information regarding specifications or prices online. Does it come in a two piece set ?

I was thinking of loading it up with Dango Wax 12lb and 8lb vanish fluro leader, does that sound ok ?

Thanks in advance,
Victor

Edited by victorski

Victorski,

Here's my 2 bob (well more like $20 :) )

I've just started fishing off the rocks over the last 18months. I started fishing for blackfish and that then spiralled out of control.

I've got 2 very versatile setups which I can use for everything from Luderick all the way to big drummer off the rocks. I can also use the same rods for beach fishing for big jews down to whiting. I started out using cheap fibreglass rods, but they were too heavy to fish with for long periods, so I gave them the arse.

I reckon you need two rods for the fishing you're talking about. And I know they work because I fish with them.

Light setup.

3-5kg 10'6 2pc Shimano Catana Coastline light $120. Your Alvey 475B will work fine with this rod as casting distance isn't usually much of an issue when fishing for Luderick. I use either an Alvey 45bc (has a star drag and side cast) with 12lb dango wax, or a shimano 2500/4000 size reel with 15lb mono. It's not a low mount rod, but with such a small alvey it shouldn't matter.

I've used it off the beach for flatties, and bream, and off the rocks for luderick. My record luderick with this rod was 43cm. Plenty of length to keep the blackies away from the rocks, I personally wouldn't fish of the rocks with anything shorter than this. You can even use this rod for soft plastics off the beach if you really want. You can also use it for casting slugs into the surf for sambo's and tailor. For the price, I challenge you to find a lighter more vesatile rod.

Heavier setup.

6-10Kg 12' 2pc Lox Iridium Surf $250. I use a Penn spinfisher SSV 4500LL with 15lb Kokoda GT-R ultra. Your Sustain 6000 is approx 110g heavier than the reel i have on this rod. The penn doesn't balance very well with the lox as it's a bit too light, your Sustain should be perfect. I usually have my rod under my arm so I put more importance on saltwater resistance than balance when choosing my gear.

I bought this setup to use mainly for targeting drummer off the rocks. My best is a 47cm Silver and 44cm Black Drummer in rough terrain. If you like fishing for long periods of time, this kind of setup would be better than a fibreglass rod. I've also used a Ci4 4000 stradic with this rod and I think I could've fished for a week without stopping it was so light.

Haven't done anything but rock fishing with this rod. But as the title suggests, it's a beach rod so will work fine casting slugs and medium size sinkers a good distance. You'll be amazed how far you can cast an unweighted prawn (wind dependant of course).

The great thing is, the lox comes with a tube which will fit your Catana in it also if you choose to get one. Great for when you're climbing down cliffs to your favourite ledge.

As for which lines you should use. The guys that taught me to fish swear by Tortue. I use Kokoda Ultra in Clear and Smoke as they claim to be 30x more abrasion resistant. This is important around the rocks. Kokoda is Alvey friendly aswell which is what got me onto it in the first place, I've 20lb on an Alvey 6000BCVRRT which I use for beach fishing. If you're using a spinning reel then I don't think low stretch really matters.

Dango Wax is awesome for float fishing. I tried float fishing with normal 15lb mono the other day and really did notice the difference.

I started with 6lb dango wax on the 45BC, but you're better off using 12lb Dango, and 6-8lb leader so if you get snagged or bricked by a random Drummer, you will get your float back. Then you can upgrade your leader and use the 12lb to pull the drummer to your dinner plate.

I guess i'm getting carried away a bit here... I've got a rock fishing comp on the weekend and I'm a little excited about it.

Get into those drummer and luderick mate, they are good on the plate and great fun to catch.

Just remember... A tight arse always pays twice, so if you find something you like that is a little more expensive, just save a little longer... you'll forget about the money when you bag that fish of a lifetime.

It's great to see you are so passionate about your gear JET01 :thumbup:

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your information.

That's great advice also about saving for a little longer and getting something you really like.

Best of luck with rock fishing comp!

Ian

Wooooah thanks a million Jet and Luderick for all the help, time to start saving hahaha

The Lox Iridium Surf looks epic and perfect for my needs, especially if you get a rod tube! I've almost destroyed my rods a few times whilst attempting to navigate the rocks!

I'll definitely get the danjo wax in the 12lb as I will be float fishing, everyone seems to be recommending it! I already have a spool of 6 and 8lb vanish flurocarbon which I'll use for the leader =)

Good luck in your competition Jet, I look forward to reading the fishing report =)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the assistance, especially Royce!

I purchased everything today and the rod is a Snyder Crusoe Island 4136 11'6" =)

All that is left to do is to learn how to catch them!

I was thinking of trying to fish at Clovelly as I always can see people fishing there in the morning.
Does anyone have any spots that they are willing to share for someone new to rock fishing ?

Cheers,
Victor

post-9937-0-04393400-1378362690_thumb.jpg

Mate,

I'll PM you a few spots that are afer or go to the thread on here about safe rock fishing I have nentioned a few safer spots and the conditions to fish, but never fish alone, wear cleats and preferably a PFd and watch the swell for10 minutes before going down even if other fools are running down to beat you to thespot it pays to watch. If you would like a session on the dos and don'ts on low ledge luderick fishing PM me and I can meet you in the Eastern Suburbs somewhere, the Eastern Suburbs have some of the most dangerous ledges on the East Coast and one spot has claimed more lives than all other spots put together!

Perfect selection of things, great advice from the lads. I'm glad you arrived at a 11'6" rod,, longer rods are safer apart from anything. The neoprene rod bags are good for protecting your Snyder rod, and will help it last a lot longer. The fibreglass rod will also last a lot longer and be less prone to breakage than other rods you could have bought, the rocks are a tough environment.

Good luck out there and stay safe.

Matt