techniques for bass/EPs on blades

matyg

just wondering what raiders if any have been targeting bass on blade lures and what techniques have been successful.

got a mate who has been doing alright on them with slow lifts then winding the slack similar to flathead fishing with plastics. I am yet to crack a fish on the blade style lure and living in penrith, bass is the closest sport fish to have a go with

Blades aren't the first thing that comes to mind for chasing bass, but on EP's they're a good option. You'll have a load more fun chasing them on surface lures (small poppers and cicada styles) and various plastics and hb's have their place too. Jig spinners are always a good option as well. Blades would work well on deep schooled fish but when the fish are in the timber and in tricky country (which is the majority of the time) they aren't a great option. If you really want to crack a fish on a blade then flatties and bream are the go but for bass i'd say ecogear vx 35's and 40's, TT 1/12 ghostblades, TT 1/8 Switchblades, Strike Pro cyber vibe 40 and even a Jackall TN60 or TN50 on the bigger fish. Fish them just as you described, slow lift and pause. If you get into the topwater side of things over summer, Megabass sigletts and soft shell cicadas are the go. Small poppers are always good as well. The Nepean is a top bass fishery. Some big fish in there too.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

Blades are a great Bass lure in saying that mulloway man is correct in saying they are more for schooling fish. I have used them to great success in the dams, but for where your fishing I would say from the 1st september-late october most bass will be caught subsurface on small fat hardbodies you would use for bream, spinnerbaits and plastics, as the water warms and cicadas start humming stick baits, poppers and cicada imitations are the best (read most entertaining) way to catch bass. if you are on the nepean though and do sound up some bass in a school by all means drop a blade down and hop/slow roll/ burn and sink it back and i am sure you will get some attention.