Struggling. Dont know what I am doing wrong?

jezzap84

Hey all,

New to this site and still fairly new to fishing so need as much help as possible.

I have tried different baits, different lines, different locations, different setups, soft plastics and lures and just cant seem to land anything but fish McNuggets.

Been reading this site, watching fish shows, and reading mags to learn as much as I can but still nothing.

so i guess my question is...where is a good land based spot in sydney and what setup should I use and at what time? Walk me through it like I am a simpleton hahaha.

I figure asking everyone here is the best option.

Cheers in advance all. And happy fishing

Jezza

It might be easier to describe what and how you have been fishing so far. Can you describe what fish you have been targeting and with what rig, baits etc. Btw welcome to the site, a lot of helpful people inhabit these cyber waters.

Edited by nbdshroom

I have been targeting Bream and Flathead mostly. Originally using Shimano Solstace 2500 with 8lb Mono. Varied between sliding sinker and fixed in smallish sizes. Hook size i have changed between small and medium just to try something different when one hasnt worked. I know have Shimano Stradic 5000Fj which has 12lb mono as advised by tackleshop guy.

I have bee using Vanish Fluro as the leader lately again advised by tackleshop guy.

For soft plastics been using Gulp Jigging minnow and shads again at the advise of the tackleshop guy.

With the new reel my thought is the line is too big and that i should go down to 8lb or lower. But been having the same luck with the lighter line.

Still new to this and know it takes time and patience, just hoping there might be some minor thing i am messing up.

cheers for the help.

Your gear sounds okay, maybe a bit overkill with the stradic 5000fj but don't worry its an excellent reel and you will put it through it's paces one day. The 2500 is fine for the general purpose estuary, jetty, sheltered bay, bank etc., kind of fishing. 8lb mono is a good start, that way you don't have to worry about leaders and line joining knots which is required when using braid or gel-spun polyethylene lines. However, the choice is there to use fluorocarbon leaders if you want to take the next step :). Generally, lighter line will produce more bites because it allows the bait to waft more naturally through the water (in addition to it's lower visibility).

Bait-wise, well, when you say you are fishing for mcnuggets, does that mean you can catch fish but only small ones or none at all? In any event, I'd steer clear of bloody kangaroo steaks LOL. I haven't heard of anyone using that before which doesn't necessarily mean it is not effective.

Edited by nbdshroom

When i do catch the McNuggets like 4 cm its every now and then.

Is there a particular size hook i should be trying?

Sounds like i am using the right rig just might be in the wrong place.

Thanks for the feedback. Still love fishing even without the catch. The one thing that chills me out. Just would be nice to get a decent fish to brag about haha.

Hey mate fishing teaches you to be patient and patient lets u catch fish.

1: if you are fishing these days, expect to catch nothing , with the odd fish here and there , mainly from June to mid October the low fishing season except for black fish.

2: you gotta be on the water 2 to 3 hours before the high tide.

3: forget about the full moon and the dark moon,

Half a moon is the best time to fish.

4: any bait u use will work some bait works better than others but if there's fish there they won't be too shy to grab it.

5: always fish light, no sinker or very small sinker.

6: if fishing lakes, make sure u look for Chanel , usually u can see water with darker patterns and see weed travelling in it, cast in the Chanel even if it is one foot away from ur feet.

If you need more info?

Let me know

Cheers

Where abouts in Brooklyn are you fishing?

I'd be heading to the point near the boat ramp on the turn of the tide and fish it outgoing. You get a nice eddie happening off the south end of the point and that will often hold fish.

If all you are catching is the tiny bream, I'd increase your hook and bait size. Personally, I have good luck with Woolworths Banana prawns, the aussie ones not the imported. Before you go fishing, if the wife will let you, put a bunch in a blender with a handful of breadcrumbs and puree it then freeze in handful sized pancake shapes. When your fishing mix the thawed blocks with a fair bit of sand and salt water in a bucket and throw out a handful every few minutes. Use baits around half a prawn sized on a hook that will hold it. You should do OK with that.

You can use fresh squid strips instead for the bait. They're tougher so you can get the bait past the pickers if they're a problem.

I have a mate who likes to put his rod down and watch the tip, then strikes with a quick snatch when he sees movement. He strikes so hard though that we make jokes about his favourite dish being Fish Lip Soup. I hold the rod, tip low, and when i get a solid bite just smoothly lift the tip up. I get a pretty good strike rate with that method.

I was fishing just off the freeway towarda the pilons of the bridge.

Burley is something I have been meaning to do but wasnt quite sure the best way and if it would work so well being land based. I will give those fish pancakes a go.

All this advice makea me want to head out now, and i had been out all day.

Cheers guys. This site really is awesome and a massive help.

keep in mind that winter is an inherently difficult time to fish. as the weather warms, so should your chances of finding a fish.

i went through the entire uni summer holidays - 3 months - and managed to catch 2 legal fish in that entire time when i first started but i was completely over the moon. fishing is challenging. that's what keeps us coming back.

you'll get into fish sooner or later

Cheers all. I know it could be worse and could have caught nothing. Looking forward to the warmer months and some more fish.

I will keep persisting as i still love it even without the fish. Thata just an added bonus.

Hi Jezza,

Just what the other guys have said. Sounds like you are doing most things right. As soon as summer arrives you'll get into some decent fish. I fish around Cremorne and neutral bay quite a lot and it is dead at the moment. I went yesterday to clifton gardens (around the rocks) and just got tiny snapper. The conditions and water were awesome but it really is hard at this time of year. Hang in there.

Since you're land based I would suggest trying some different places. For the Hawkesbury jump on the ferry at Brooklyn and get off at one of the wharves along the ferry route. Do the same catching the ferry at Church Point in Pittwater.

Other than changing locations the time of day is important too, try an hour before sunrise to an hour after. When I fish from land I find the only really productive time is those early hours unless deeper water is within casting distance.

Edited by Testlab

Will definately be trying a different area I think. Was not the only one not having any luck. About 20 other fisherman catching nothing but sunburn haha.

The time I went wasn't the best, but was stuck with it due to kids etc...

I will definately try the wharves as suggested. Will be better when I get on the houseboat up that way in Feb, then I can try heaps of different spots.

Still always good to get out of the house and near the water.