Bait Tank Window

Paikea

Tank is around 50 litres. Widows worked really good, would not be without one if there is room.

I will take some pics and write it up when I get back from a short working holiday helping the kids add a new laundry to their house in in Byron.

Cheers

Paikea

• 3 weeks later...

Hi obey

I only just got back from visit to our kids in the Byron Area. I will be working on putting details together this week. I was going to take some more pics of my Trailcraft that I fitted the windows to but when I called in to the yard that I sold it to today I was advised that the boat had been sold to someone in Goulburn and had left last week.

It means that I will now have to prepare some drawings showing how together with existing pics instead of the simulated description that I had planned.

Hopefully I will still be able to produce clear details of installing a window. It is quite a simple job if you follow some basic rules.

Thanks for your continuing interest.

Cheers

Paikea

Installing a window in a Bait tank.

You will need the following tools and materials

TOOLS

1. Power drill to drill the corners of the window opening. I used a 3/8 inch drill.

2. A hand or power saw that can cut the opening between the drill holes.

3. A flat file to dress the edges of the opening.

4. Emery or garnet paper to sand the back of the window opening to ensure good adhesion of the sealant/adhesive.

5. A caulking gun to inject the sealant/adhesive in the void space between the glass and the metal or fibreglass opening in the bait tank. (see attached drawing)

6. A piece of stiff rubber approx 50 mm square to remove the excess sealant/adhesive

7. A roll of kitchen paper to use when removing the excess sealant adhesive.

MATERIALS

1. A piece of glass that is 25 mm bigger (all around) than the opening in the bait tank. The corners of the glass must be square, not rounded. I used 6mm thick toughened glass. A bit more expensive than normal glass but safer if it should break (unlikely, but I had a mate in the window trade who got the glass for me). The edges should be stoned to remove any sharp corners.

You can use a form of plastic for the window however that will scratch in time and removing excess sealant/adhesive may prove difficult leaving the window with smears etc.

2. A strong double sided tape such as Thermalbonde 12 mm wide by 5 mm thick. Sufficient length to go right around the perimeter of the glass.

3. A good quality sealant/adhesive such as Simpson Multipurpose Marine Construction Adhesive.

4. Cleaning solvent to clean the area at the back of the window opening and the glass before injecting the sealant/adhesive. I used lacquer thinners (only because I had some).

METHOD

1. Determine the size of your window bearing in mind that you will need at least 25 mm all-round the back of the window for the double sided tape and the sealant/adhesive. (see attached drawing)

2. Purchase your glass and ensure that it is sizes to suit your planned opening.

3. Mark out the opening in your bait tank and drill the corners using a 3/8 inch or bigger drill.

4. Using a hand or power saw carefully cut between the corner holes and remove the piece of aluminium or fibreglass.

5. Dress the edges of the opening using a flat file. They should be relatively smooth and free of burrs etc.

6. Unroll a piece of the double sided tape and press it down on the top edge of the glass. Repeat for each side and the bottom. Make sure that the top and bottom sections of tape overlap the side pieces so that there will not be any gaps for the sealant/adhesive to escape.

7. Clean the back of the opening with solvent, Then mark where the bottom and one side of the glass will be located when the glass is pressed into place via the double sided tape.

8. Place a 75 mm long piece of the tape under the line at the bottom location of the glass and do the same on one side. These pieces of tape will be used to position the glass before it is finally pressed into place.

9. Remove the cover strip from the top of the double sided tape.

10. Carefully position the glass so that it is lightly resting on the bottom piece of guide tape and against the side guide tape. Then firmly press the glass into place.

11. At this stage you should have the window in place with a void space between the glass and the aluminium or fibreglass of the bait tank. That void space will run between the edge of the opening and the edge of the double sided tape. (see attached drawing at Section AA)

12. When you are happy with the position of the glass (if not, remove it and start again) place the tube of sealant/adhesive in the caulking gun and inject the sealant/adhesive into the void space. Make sure that you overfill the space to achieve a complete and sound bond between the glass ant the bait tank.

13. Now use the strip of hard rubber (use gloves as it can get a little messy) to remove the excess sealant/adhesive holding the rubber tight against the face of the glass and the edges of the void space.

14. As you remove the excess material wipe it on the role of paper towel, then tear of the piece of the towel that has the excess on it and get rid of it. Repeat the process as required. You will find it easier to dip the rubber in water between wipes to smooth the process.

15. When all of the excess has been removed wipe the glass with a cloth (old singlet is fine) to remove any traces of the sealant.

16. Allow the sealant to cure for at least the recommended time then if there are any small remains of the sealant on the window use a razorblade to remove them (not on a plastic window)

17. Finally, remove the guide pieces of tape that you used to position the window and fill the tank.

In the words of the Master Chef judges; THERE YOU HAVE IT!

To view the drawing please click on the link Visio- Bait Tank Window Etc to open it.

I hope that the above details will be of some help to members thinking about installing a window in their bait Tank. It is quite easy to do and works great.

Cheers

Paikea

Obey

I have put details of installing a window to a bait tank in a new post (this section) including a drawing showing the component parts etc.

If you are thinking of fitting one to your boat I have some double sided tape left over, enough for two windows. If you would like some of that send me the dimensions and I will post the tape to you.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Paikea