LowaranceElite-4xDSI pros and cons

thesurgeon

I have been checking out Fishfinders for my Hobe Outback kayak, and the BCF salesman recommended the Lowrance Elite-4X DSI fishfinder. Is anyone using this particular unite and if so are you satisfied with its performance. The other one he recommended was the Garmin 350c. I would appreciate any comments on what is best or of any faults with either of these Fishfinders. or any recommendations on any other type that you would buy.

thanks ted

I was going to purchase one for my boat about a year ago and was talked out of it by the salesman. He said the dsi was not up to scratch if you are fishing in a stationary position as it bounces off its own sonar and is only good to 61m. But if its for a hobby and you don't venture to far offshore, mate I see no reason why it wouldn't work fine.

Hope that helps!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie for your reply i have also heard comments from another source that there was a problem with moisture getting into the unite causing corrosion as well as fading of the display. I think i will have to do a bit more research before buying a fishfinder.and check out other types. :fishing1:

thanks again cheers TEDi

I have been using the Elite-5x DSI for a while now, it's great for shallow water i.e. < 20m, and slow speeds, anything deeper than this and if your traveling more than 10kts, then you lose bottom.

That 60M it states is a bunch of crap! it should say 60M when stationary and perfect clear clean water =).

Haven't had any problems with water getting in or corrosion, and that's with the unit being fully submerged in salt water when the yak flipped and I had to doggy paddle it 50m to shore :ranting2: :ranting2:

If you are planning to use this just on the yak, then it's perfect, otherwise get a HDS.