Ultra light surf rod

Kooks

Hey all,

I'm wanting to get a ultra light surf rod to chuck around small soft plastics, lures and the odd bait for bream and whiting etc. this summer.

So I think I want something around 9 - 10 ft. That can throw about 5 - 15 gm. Budget is sub $150.

The closest I've seen are the shimano catana coastal 10 ft 7-21gm.

Anyone out there got any other suggestions on rods or what might be suitable??

Cheers

Kooks

Hi mate,

I've got that Shimano Catana Coastal Light which is 10ft 6in actually. Although cheap (I got mine for about $70) I find it an extremely versatile rod for beach and rock fishing. I've used it for spinning with soft plastics and metals from 5g up to 40gm (and it casts a mile too), beach fishing for bream, whiting, salmon and tailor, luderick and drummer fishing from the rocks and estuary, and squidding from the harbour rocks. I've also used it to spin for bonito and other smaller pelagics from the stones. For the money, I think it's hard to beat. Up from there you're looking at something like the light Daiwa Seajigger (315 in the old model) but that's going to be >$200 unless you can find one being cleared out for the newer models.

Aidan

ive got a 10 foot shimano steve starling series spin stick, nice and light have used it for throwing anything from 25g slices down to unweighted prawns for blackfish work great and you can cast it all day without getting too tired, have it match with a 4000 shimano reel

I'm using a pen fishing rod from penfishingrods.com

They are tiny but work great. The biggest I caught with it was a 50+ cm flathead, other catches include yellowtails, breams, flounder and trevally. I've just restarted using it frim the beach for whitings. Not caught any with it yet but none caught with my bigger rod on the same day. If it can handle a flatheat it should handle a whiting.

--

http://www.facebook.com/gonefishinginoz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free