finding trout + tactics: lakes

alluring

Hey guys

It's been at the back of my mind for a while to head out to Eucumbene or Jindabyne when the weather's a little warmer so I'm starting to put some infomation together. At the start of winter I tried jindy with no success. Just wondering where trout tend to hang out, and whether there are any tricks to catching them. When I tried Jindy I was spinning (landbased) - devils, small xraps in trout colours, blades, square cranks, little spoons, hell I even have a slug with bow colours, you name it. Didn't get a hit so wondering if I need to adjust my technique. I have a yak too - and a sounder on it. Was thinking of going for a slow troll around the edges of the lakes. Or drop a line down with that Gulp Powerbait stuff - I hear the wreaks havoc on them. Any tips? I've heard Jindy is better known for it's trophy fish, and the atlantic salmon/brooks that are stocked in it. But I heard people go to eucumbene if they just want to catch something ;)

And on a side note, of course I know if I go in I don't have long in an alpine environment etc, but I'm confident enough with my ability and safety. It never hurts to be too careful, but I'm keener to work out how to get some fish on the end of my line!

Cheers :-)

Edited by alluring

Hey bud, to be honest from experience I have found that trout seem to roam around alot in dams. Where I have caught them one time they are nowhere to be found the next and vice versa. Where I have had the most luck with them though is around weeds and structure like most fish. Try and find yourself a small forest of dead trees and flick your lures in between them or over the top of a visible weed bed. The retrieves can also be just as varied from a slow roll to a quick retrieve to stop start jerky retrieves and everything in between. It is just a matter of finding the right one on the day so just try everything until you get one on and then repeat. In Saying that though I have never fished Eucumbene or Jindabyne so I have no idea of the terrain there.

Good Luck! Let me know how you go.

Luc.

Hey bud, to be honest from experience I have found that trout seem to roam around alot in dams. Where I have caught them one time they are nowhere to be found the next and vice versa. Where I have had the most luck with them though is around weeds and structure like most fish. Try and find yourself a small forest of dead trees and flick your lures in between them or over the top of a visible weed bed. The retrieves can also be just as varied from a slow roll to a quick retrieve to stop start jerky retrieves and everything in between. It is just a matter of finding the right one on the day so just try everything until you get one on and then repeat. In Saying that though I have never fished Eucumbene or Jindabyne so I have no idea of the terrain there.

Good Luck! Let me know how you go.

Luc.

Cheers Luc, that's really helpful :) I'm not sure how long it'll be before I can check it out due to uni etc, but when I get a day down there I'll let you know!