Fishing Kayak for a Beginner

Koalaboi

Hi,

One of my sons has become addicted to fishing (Yeeehaaa!!...one very happy dad).

He would like to get a kayak (he's now 21 years old) so that he can combine some fitness with fishing and get out and about on the water...mainly estuary, lake, river stuff.

I know nothing about it and would love to have some advice on:

1. what sorts of issues do we need to look at when choosing a boat?

2. I imagine that asking how much to set up a fishing kayak is up there with how long a piece of string is but, I'm thinking that he needs a craft that is safe, easy to transport, good to paddle, stable and with space for gear, fish etc. What is a good starting price for something like that? A top of the line boat is something he can save up for himself if he gets into it but a real cheapie I imagine is a waste of money.

3. Size of boat?

4. Makes and Models?

5. Would it be worth looking at second hand boats?

Thanks very much in advance,

KB.

Hi mate I bought Cobra Tandem so I could take the kids out rated up to 300kgs and very stable platform. I just finished doing some mods, I added a triple tree up front so I have two rods and fish finder working and a crate setup for the rear seat. I usually fish solo so the kayak is a bit of a tub but as I said very very stable. Once the kids are too big to fit in I'll be upgrading to a Hobie Outback as I'm sold on the idea of having my hands free for fishing.

Go for a sit on top and theres nothing wrong with a second hand one at all just make sure its in good nick (no cracks and not faded). Setup is up to you but fish it a few times before you drill anything.

Chances are if he enjoys it, which he will, he'll look to upgrade in the future so as long as he can get out and catch fish your laughing.

Remember to attach leashes to rods and your paddle for when you go for unexpected swims and a PDF is recommended.