Fishing fast running tides

Kirst1583

Hi all,

I've recently moved to the central coast and wanted to have a go fishing swansea but the tide was ridiculous. I couldn't tell the difference between tidal movement and bites!

Does anyone have tips on what to do in this situation?

I tried a heavier sinker and that made no difference at all.

I'm landbased and using bait (not sure if that's relevant or not)

Thanks in advance :)

Moving lead is not necessarily a bad thing, ive found it helps the fish be more interested as their food naturally flows around!

however down on my local beach (Maroubra) i've been using 240g just to keep the lead still at times. I also use braid which doesn't help when the waves crash around.

I'm not an expert but my tip is to finger the line and you'll be able to tell the difference between fish and surf.

Finally - if your going off the beach - Salmon, Tailor and anything big will hit your bait so hard you'll know its a bite as your rod will start wrenching out your arm!

Edit - if youre using ball or oval sinkers they just roll around regardless of the weight, i use the big long rectangular leads or heavy starsinkers and they seem to stick in place... dont go too heavy though else you wont be able to cast.

Edited by tef1on

Guest Aussie007

Hi all,

I've recently moved to the central coast and wanted to have a go fishing swansea but the tide was ridiculous. I couldn't tell the difference between tidal movement and bites!

u could try fishing 1-2 hours before and after a tide change

As tef1on said, if you are targetting big fish you don't need to tell the difference between tide movements and bites, when big fish bite they gulp the whole thing and run away. I stopped worrying about my rod tip movement, cast, put the rod in the holder, loosen the drag (or use a baitrunner reel) and relax, sit in a chair and sip some hot drink. The reel will wiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzz when a fish is on, I don't even use a starlight or a bell, the noise from the reel is enough even when the waves are strong.

This also applies for good size whitings, if I need to strike, it usually mean smaller fish.

If you want your bait to stay in one place, you should use no-roll sinkers (pyramid, rectangular, flat) or you can try the breakway sinkers (also called spider sinkers). They have kind of hooks that anchor to the sand and has a release system so when you reel it back it unhook from the sand. After casting the breakaway sinkers, let it sink and start reeling back until you feel good resistance, this means the anchor is made.

--

http://www.facebook.com/gonefishinginoz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Sounds like I may have to buy some new sinkers and time my outing better :)

One other question ... The main problem I'm finding (other than not feeling bites) is that my line is coming back in towards me and the rocks so its not able to be left out for long otherwise I'll snag. If I try the other side of the river on the same tide does that mean my line should be taken out rather than back in? Sorry if it seems silly but still getting my head around how it all works

I tried about 3 different spots.. And all the same. Sounds like star sinkers may be worth a go. What size would u recommend? I only have a light rod (I think about 2-5kg).

And also, what type of rig do u use with a star sinker?

I've only used ball, barrel and bean so far...

Thanks again for all the help! :)

Thats where your issue is! you're using a ball/bean/barrel sinker which rolls freely with the tide. It depends on what you're fishing for for what rig you are using, I use my heavy rigs 240g in the surf but thats using 50lb braid to the lead so i have the strength to fling it. With my star sinkers i use about 80-100g, dont get me wrong...thy move, but not as much!

Try stars on a paternoster setup.

Yeah basically what Tef1on said.

I find size three sinkers is heavy enough for most conditions. Size four is pretty bloody heavy. You will want a decent length rod and strong line to hurl the weight, WIll probably snap after a few casts if you are using light line.

The cheapest sinkers I have found are at your general shopping centre stores that will come in packs of three. Larger fishing stores have packs for $30+ but couldn't see someone needing that many.

paternoster rig is good for the weight as it gives you more distance when casting.

You also have the option to use sand sinkers which can work well.

eql21ht.jpg

Hope this helps!

PS, I shouldn't call them star sinkers when I'm actually talking about pyramid sinkers.

dBEVBeF.jpg

Edited by Belligero

Thanks so much. Don't know what I'd do without fishraider!

I had no idea the sinkers I was using were designed to 'roll' with the tide. Makes sense now that I think about it though.

I'll get some pyramid sinkers and see how that goes :)

Thanks again for all the info everyone

No worries - Glad (and a bit surprised) i could actually give some advice!

lol guess you always have to know more than someone ;) My partner taught me the basics a couple of years back but that was it.. He doesn't even like to fish so I go on my own

Hi all,

I assume you are fishing the Swansea channel. The tide does race along there. Fishing an hour or so either side of the tide change is more manageable. However, try this... use enough lead to get a live poddy down near the bottom and let the tide take it along and walk along with the bait... you won't have so much trouble with the line swinging back onto the wall as you are keeping level with it... you might just manage a few of those big lizards Swansea is famous for... ;) watch out for the kingies around the bridge! :)

Good luck.

Baz