Browns and beyond. Hooked a Blue Marlin.

zen801

Well we headed out in pretty average conditions, choppy and windy. We went out to 12 mile and almost pulled the pin but decided to head towards Browns and see if it got any better. After awhile it settled down and we got out a spread when we came across sauries getting harrassed and jumping. No luck there so moved on. Browns was a ghost town due to wind and current and in fact we only saw one boat all day and i think we would have done close to 200 Ks in the day. Decided to keep going wider into the unknown zone for us and go further than ever before. We were a long way past Browns when the long rigger exploded. To be honest i couldnt believe what i was seeing and hearing out of my T50 with 24kg. It was screaming and running like i have never heard any reel before and i looked out the back to see a monster Blue Marlin going ballistic. I realised that i had set the outrigger clip too tight so quickly got it down and unclipped but lost precious and critical moments. The marlin came back up and tail walked and smahed around then went down and ran again. He didnt want to stay down but came up again and went aerial. He settled on the surface and stuck like half his body out and smashed his head side to side displacing huge amounts of water. It was better than any nat Geo stuff i had seen before. All of a sudden he was either tail or bill wrapped and snap. I think maybe tail wrapped as i had a long wind on leader of a few metres and when we brought the line in it was all busted above the wind on and about 200mm of damaged line. We think it had to be every bit of 200kg. I caught some Blues in Vanuatu of 70 - 90 kgs and this one dwarfed those considerably. It was a very fat and powerful fish with a massive boff head. Tried a bit longer in the zone and moved on back towards Browns to do a deep drop with the electric. Current too much so pulled the pin and trolled back to 12 mile area. Motored back from 12 at 25 knots. Great day although we were keen for a tuna. If targeting the big blues you really need to go 37kg. That fish if we got past the initial frenzy would have taken a couple of hours to land on 24kg and in rough conditions would have been epic. It did not take a squirted lure so try other options.

Mike

Bad luck Mike.. its always quite a shock when a blue hits as they normally just smash the lure & run & then the excitement starts. Anyway good to see you out there it trying conditions.

Do you run your main line straight through you outrigger clip? Presumably your using trolla rollers or similar? You can sometimes get wear from the line rubbing back & forward on the roller so be careful with that & if it doesn't open that's probably what caused your line to be damaged for 200m. A lot of boats like to run tag lines off the rigger clips which will reduce your angle at the strike a it helps with hookups.

Its very early in the year to see blue marlin off Sydney but hopefully it is leading up to a great summer of marlin fishing. Scratchie.. you must be getting excited about the prospects at Port for this season!

With the barometer starting to rise again hopefully we will see the tuna come back on the bite again by the weekend.

Good luck when you get back out!

Cheers

Damo

Yes damo!!! Licking my lips as we speak! Just got the boat back today from service and its going great guns! Already heard of a few marlin boated at almark and the likes, and have collected a fair bit of gear in the off season!

In a few months, watch this space!!! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Yes that's quite possible as well. Strange for so much line to be damaged.

2 blues weighed today at the SGFC 1 went 284kg & the other 284.5kg.

Big beasts... bring on the 300+ kg. There were also some nice 70kg yellowfin caught today.

Hope one of the boats was raider frankp. Can't wait to hear more reports.

Cheers

Damo

No wahoo got the first blue marlin for the day then another boat hooked up not far from the area a few hours later and literally 100m of us spewn but at least we got to c something good jumps went mental anyway wahoo knew the guy and put it in his boat for the drive in nice bloke

Long day for us and nothing to show again seems to be the story of Sydney for me anyway I'm sure I will try again

Unfortunately it wasn't us Damo. Also thanks for the advice you gave me, every time I ask you for some advice you always give out information willingly so it is appreciated.

Didn't seem like there was a lot happening out there today, we did put in the effort but all seemed quiet except for a few good fish.

Guest mike2153

I was just wondering the same thing, what the hell do you do with the fish if you keep it, take the net off and how it to everyone and his dog? Could you sell it to someone?