Live bait help in middle harbour

Kingfish1999

Hey everyone,

im heading out on monday in middle harbour for some kingfish :) but i am having trouble getting squid and yakkas. the last few trips i have had i havent got one yakka or squid either. im getting in to squidding i have a few yamashita squid jigs in the tackle box and i have tried balmoral for an hour and the spit for an hour and had no luck and the same with yakkas. I was just wandering where are some spots where you can get squid and yakkas because i think the places i used to go to are overfished. Any help would be great

Cheers ethan

It can be tough in the Harbour, but a few pointers. The Spit for squid is good at night (with the lights) but no so good during the day. Heading east from the Spit, past the Marinas, on the right hand side (you will see a crane on a building site) is good for yakkas - motor around until you see them on the sounder. But need to burley.

The Island, just past the kelp beds at Balmoral holds both yakkas and squid. This time of the year, a bit tough but doable. Was just outside the heads recently and there were huge schools of slimies, big enough to take 20gm raiders. That is always a great option for the kingies.