Blackfish are starting to fire up.

stormy

Went for a fish yesterday to a spot which often holds a few fish most of the year round. Convinced my two mates that it was going to be a hot one, so we should have an early start and aim to be on the rocks at 7am (well, that's early for some). The tide was starting to run out, so a cast about three rod lengths out found the fish immediately. The water was too clear for my liking, and I could see big schools of swirling fish, obviously spawning. They don't bite very well at this time, but a quick snack between doing the business never hurts does it. The float went down, down, down and a lift of the rod saw the first of many hooked over the next 3 hours. I hooked over twenty fish and got bitten off three times and also dropped a few at my feet, trying to drag them up the ledge with no help from the swells. A great session, but having decided to keep a dozen fish for my family and a couple of friends, made the filleting and skinning a draining proposition in the heat of our hottest Sept day on record. A great morning on the rocks, with Rick landing 11 fish, Bob 4 and me with 12. Quite a few of the fish were in milt but not enough to say the spawn has started full steam. Looking forward to some good fishing in the weeks to come. I have recently made some floats with carbon fibre rod stems and they work a treat. The takes see the float appearing to go down with very little resistance. Don't want to lose too many though, with each rod costing $3.50. Only lost two in the past 12 months, so can't complain.

post-11324-0-50416100-1380583328_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hi-jack but here are some of the floats I made for this season:

cHGvlVb.jpg

Darker ones are Balsa Wrapped around tassy oak with Solder Coils Wrapped around the base - The ligher ones are Cedar / Cork with no weight.
Sadly the blackfish season has ended somewhat abruptly at the usual haunts in tuggerah lake at the moment due to ever important commercial fishing.

Edited by Qnut

Hello Flattie.

I make the stems from 4mm carbon rod, the body from 'virgin' champagne corks (they are perfectly cylindrical and have never been in a bottle) and the balance weight from either hollow point rifle projectiles or I have recently made a mould for casting tube which I cut to the length I need to balance the float.

The first pic shows a range of floats I have made in the past few weeks. Second shows the lead tube (which still needs tidying up)and third shows the projectiles on the 3mm estuary floats. The colour on the top of the stems is iron on trim tape, used in model aircraft covering. Just need to trim them to length and they will be ready for use. A couple have been used already, as you can see by the tarnish on the copper jacketed projectiles.

post-11324-0-88282100-1380594816_thumb.jpg

post-11324-0-86567900-1380594817_thumb.jpg

post-11324-0-55446100-1380594818_thumb.jpg

Good to see you catch a few fish. The best thing about Black fishing is you can fish gentlemans hours as long as the tide is right.

With the interest in home made floats seems like we could run a DIY day if some one was interested.

Plenty of good ideas and personal choice of materials.

Also a chance for a meet and greet day of fellow fisho`s who enjoy blackfishing.

Hello Flattie.

I make the stems from 4mm carbon rod, the body from 'virgin' champagne corks (they are perfectly cylindrical and have never been in a bottle) and the balance weight from either hollow point rifle projectiles or I have recently made a mould for casting tube which I cut to the length I need to balance the float.

The first pic shows a range of floats I have made in the past few weeks. Second shows the lead tube (which still needs tidying up)and third shows the projectiles on the 3mm estuary floats. The colour on the top of the stems is iron on trim tape, used in model aircraft covering. Just need to trim them to length and they will be ready for use. A couple have been used already, as you can see by the tarnish on the copper jacketed projectiles.

Hello Flattie.

Hi Stormy,

Your homemade floats look nicer than the ones sold in tackle shops.

I think the carbon rods must be expensive and to get some rifle projectiles will not be easy.

I myself just use lead sinkers to balance the cork floats.

As bluebottle18 said organizing a workshop/DIY day is a great idea and count me in if you really want to do it.

I want to post some of my homemade blackfish floats here but I do not know how to do it, I could not find any insert or attach sign.

They work well and make me get more addicted to blackfishing.

Good to see you catch a few fish. The best thing about Black fishing is you can fish gentlemans hours as long as the tide is right.

With the interest in home made floats seems like we could run a DIY day if some one was interested.

Plenty of good ideas and personal choice of materials.

Also a chance for a meet and greet day of fellow fisho`s who enjoy blackfishing.

Count me in for a DIY. Love your float making ideas guys.

Cheers Larry

Not really. I had a go at Windang Island, breakwall and bridge with not much result for my efforts, a few months back. I guess when you have a couple of spots that produce, you tend not to travel too far. That's my excuse, anyway :)

Hi guys

What tides do you find work best for the blackies off ocean rocks? I've been getting into a few lately but it's been really hit and miss and I'm wondering if the tides have much of an impact.

I love it as a form of fishing though - it's really visual and you rarely go home empty handed.