Boating Carpet

Nolongeramember

I have marine carpet on the floor in my tinny which is not stuck down but I want to permanently stick it to the floor. My problem is when the carpet gets wet it won't dry and the next day it starts to smell. I have to remove it and hang it and it will only dry that way. The floor under the carpet is marine ply wood. How does everyone get their carpet to dry after washing it?

Thanks

I looked at all of the options to replace the carpet in my 5.6 M Tournament boat and ended up settling for a plastic grid type floor from Bunnings.

Easy to install, drains all water away, dries in no time and non slip. Also less than half the cost of other products.

I will take some pics tomorrow and post them to show details.

Cheers

Paikea

• 2 weeks later...

I have marine carpet on the floor in my tinny which is not stuck down but I want to permanently stick it to the floor. My problem is when the carpet gets wet it won't dry and the next day it starts to smell. I have to remove it and hang it and it will only dry that way. The floor under the carpet is marine ply wood. How does everyone get their carpet to dry after washing it?

Thanks

sounds like you have the wrong carpet?

I have marine carpet in my tinny without the problem. I would suggest you either don't have marine carpet or you are getting fish guts / bait etc on the floor and if that's the case it wouldn't matter what you had on the floor you will have trouble. Mine is stuck down with synthetic grass glue.

Jeff

I have marine carpet in my tinny without the problem. I would suggest you either don't have marine carpet or you are getting fish guts / bait etc on the floor and if that's the case it wouldn't matter what you had on the floor you will have trouble. Mine is stuck down with synthetic grass glue.

Jeff

I dont know if there are different grades of marine carpet but I got mine from Clark Rubber and is sold as marine carpet. No fish or bait just plain water. It starts to smell simply because it stays wet for days and wont dry. I should add that if the carpet is taken out or held up away from the floor it dries very fast. The reason it wont dry when sitting on top of the marine board is because no air can get under it. Maybe specific glue is needed like you mentioned to allow circulation? I dont know.

Ive since thought of my own solution and have painted the marine ply with a high gloss paint. After it dried I stuck down some adhesive velcro strips and the carpet then velcro's itself to this. Its working ok so far and I can still remove the carpet whenever I like.

If anyone has any other advice please let me know..