Port Kembla - Sat 12/10

cc6264

First fishing report - so here goes...

Headed out off Port Kembla around 7am with the wife (having a wife that can back a trailer is great!) and turned towards Coniston beach. Went for a drift and ended up with on 1 flatty over 40cm, threw a few 33 - 34 cm back and countless babies. Also a few small reddies were thrown back as well. Then headed towards flinders islet and we have a system on the boat - if you get 3 sergeant bakers in an area we move on. So we headed towards toothbrush ( I think it is) and got a 38cm trevally (bloody good fight) and it went back. Wife and I weren't sure if they are any good to eat. gat a few more bakers and wrasse then saw the birds bustin. Woo hoo I thought, my first kingy. Headed over to the bustup at a great rate of knots and the only rod with any sort of a lure on it was my 3kg - so threw it out and whollop - my first king. Wife was screaming with excitement, reel was screamin, I was screamin at the wife to move the boat as it took off under it. I wonder how big it is I thought. Then as I started to win the battle - snap - the tip of the rod - gone. Bugger I thought, better get this fish. Got it in the boat and only 48cm but a great fight and cant wait to catch my first legal size. First thing though - need to get a bigger rod....

Then our session was cut short by the wife's seasickness. At least she lasted 4 hours.

Cheers

Craig

PS - sorry no photos.

Good Work Craig,

Those kingies sure do put up a fight, My mate busted his bream stick last year on a king, it was his first also. Its the first king that gets you addicted.

Just imagine what a metery will do :-)

Keep it up buddy the big ones will come by for sure.

Cant wait to get the boat back on the water had the tilt relay stuff up on me last week.

It sure does help when the Mrs can back the trailer, im having trouble teaching the Mrs how to drive manual yet alone back a trailer.

Well done.

Regards

vo2c88

Nice report Craig and congrats on the kingy, had my first kingy a couple of weeks ago, 53cm and it put up an awesome fight, 2-3 long runs. Can't wait for my first legal one too mate!

In regards to the Trevally, I personally think they're great eating, the bigger they get the tastier they get! Like with all fish, remember to bleed them.

Thanks for all the comments. Wife is a keeper (after 30 years she should be) and could also back a caravan. Just wont tow anything. She is also not bad with the anchor.

Will keep and try the trevally next time and did not notice the water temp or any blue bottles.

Cannot wait to try again for more kingies!

Cheers

Craig