Hooking a mutton bird

Guest mike2153

Guest mike2153

Hey guys I went out today to north head and found a school of salmon there were some mutton birds hanging around. I threw a bait out an before it could even sink a mutton bird dived straight and got it, I reeled him in and brought him on the boat I tried to get the hook out but he had swollowed it and it was just past where I could reach down his throat I had no choice but to cut the line and send him back in. He seemed a bit bothered by it flicking his head then swam away. I was half tempted to break his neck because I thought it would be easier for him rather than die slowly. Jut wondering what people think his chances are of surviving and how long the hook would prbly last before rusting away?

Guest mike2153

Mate I had a few sitting behind the boat and had to be real. Careful when bringing baits in had to reef them out of the last 3 foot of water otherwise they would dive and get them. Stupid things then you feel bad when you hook one haha

Hey guys I went out today to north head and found a school of salmon there were some mutton birds hanging around. I threw a bait out an before it could even sink a mutton bird dived straight and got it, I reeled him in and brought him on the boat I tried to get the hook out but he had swollowed it and it was just past where I could reach down his throat I had no choice but to cut the line and send him back in. He seemed a bit bothered by it flicking his head then swam away. I was half tempted to break his neck because I thought it would be easier for him rather than die slowly. Jut wondering what people think his chances are of surviving and how long the hook would prbly last before rusting away?

They are a pretty tough bird it may survive the ordeal. I hate hooking them and de-hooking & untangling them without doing any further harm, will change technique or move on if they are persistent.

Cheers Blood Knot

It's a terrible feeling hooking one of those birds and I'm sure as regular/addicted fishos we've all done it. It is not something we intentionally do but it is a case where "shit happens". When it does happen I always try to release the bird with the least amount of damage. That is the best I can do. I feel no guilt as I have done my best. And yes they are very tough birds and will probably survive. If they continue to try and steal your bait, then as suggested move on! Just my opinion!

Cheers scratchie!!!

An observation you might like to keep in mind. I have found a towel over there head subdues them pretty quickly, they just sort of sit there.

Have been lucky so far, not to have had them swallow a hook, have winged them, had line wrap around their feet etc.

I'm pretty quick and humane. Try to cause them as little stress as possible. Where a hook has gone through, I just use my side cutters and cut the barb off. I figure hooks are cheap

We had one with line wrapped around him on Tuesday, after we untangled him he sat on the swim platform, then walked from one side of the boat to the other, then finally jumped back in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest mike2153

Today I learnt that when there around I'm cutting off the barbs on my hooks this will make things easier and also to just move on if they are there, I'd rather catch nothing than catch a fish and hook a bird, I'm a pretty humane guy and have a pretty bad concious after hooking one, it can be pretty hard to stay away from them if there around buy as they just come to the back of the boat and just wait for something to eat I haven't seen them before today was the last day I didn't reliae how persistent and tame these birds really are, once I brought him on board he was really calm no flapping around, even had my fingers down his throat and not even budging, released and jut swam off

Hi Mike,

I'm current a veterinary student. My advice is as follows-

If you hook a bird externally e.g. by its beak, try your best to crimp down the barbs and take the hook out and release the bird. Cut the hook with a pair of strong pliers if you have to. Do all reasonable means to take the hook out. Remember that hooks are cheap! And i'm happy to sacrifice a hook in exchange for good welfare. Birds are easy to restrain if you wrap their body with a towel or cloth so you don't have wings flapping everywhere. This is normally a two person job. The person holding the bird should NOT squeeze tightly over the 'chest' or breast area of the bird. Birds have a slightly different kind of respiratory system to ours and compression of the chest will completely disallow the bird to breathe because they do not have a diaphragm like us. If a bird is hooked externally over the flesh, it is a good idea to take it to a vet. Removing the hook may 'rip' a portion of flesh out due to the barb. This option, or leaving the hook in may mean the wound will become infected which may or may not kill the bird. Remember that a bird will NOT 'shed' the hook the same way a fish will because it is the constant exposure to sea water to corrodes hooks and causes them to fall out. It will probably take significantly longer for the hook to corrode out of the bird, assuming the bird does not shake it out all the while infection is setting in.

If a bird has swallowed a hook, it will likely NOT survive. Birds have an anatomy that is more similar to mammals than to fish. The rules that apply to fish do not apply to birds. Put yourself in a situation where your dog or cat have a hook stuck in their oesophagus or gastrointestinal tract. It will cause serious medical complications and will most likely kill the animal if not treated. DO NOT cut the line and release the bird with a swallowed hook. Birds are what we call 'illness maskers'. This means that from an evolutionary point of view, they have evolved to 'mask' signs of illness for as long as possible because a bird that shows early progression of illness will most likely get eaten. What this means is that a bird that is showing signs of illness has probably reached an end stage of that illness i.e. it is very seriously sick! This might give birds the impression that they are quite tough because they seem to be quite unphased for a long time after you release them. However, in due time their health will decline rapidly as they reach the end stage of illness and they will probably die.

Breaking a bird's neck is an ethically approved method of dispatching birds. However, it takes a little bit of practice to get it done right. Do it wrong and you may 'stun' the bird, but not kill it. My advice is that if a bird has swallowed a hook, or if you are ever at all unsure, bring the bird into a vet! A veterinary clinic WILL take in wildlife. We get wildlife in at work all the time. Everything from lizards, birds, bandicoots, possums and frogs etc. Vets are bound by law (Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act) to treat sick animals, be it pain relief or euthanasia. Leave the bird at the vet and a vet will inspect the animal and one of two things will happen - the vet will dehook the bird and a wildlife carer will be found, who will care for it until it can be released OR if the vet deems the injury to be too substantial, will euthanase the bird. Vet clinics will NOT charge you for dropping in injured wildlife. To transport a bird, wrap the bird in a towel or cloth and put it into a nice dark place such as a cardboard box.

I hope everyone found this informative! If ever at all unsure, bring the bird to a vet! If anyone has any questions about this issue- shoot. I'm all for giving out helpful advice in the name of animal welfare.

Edited by Howdoweplaythis

Guest mike2153

Yea that is helpful mate cheers, I've had birds as pets my whole life and know that they mask illness until really it is to late, I didn't even think about taking it to a vet I should of that was my bad. If this ever happens again ill be sure to take it in the boat back to shore and back to my local vet, I just feel bad for my fishing to affect the local wildlife, I hope most fisherman relise that we should be doin all we can to make sure out hobbies have no or as little effect on the wildlife once we leave. Nothing worse than seeing birds or whatever it may be be caught it cut off lines or hooks or whatever from someone who has been neglectful in the dumping of rubbish and cut off tackle etc. I wish I did take it to a vet or snap his neck bit there were a few boats around near me and I thought if I did kill it some other people would go a bit crazy about it. I've been at Clifton gardens on more than one occasion when people are throwing sinkers are garnets I believe there called, (the common sea bird that will chase and dive after baits and fish etc) and I've had a go at them telling them that if they throw another sinker at them ill be throwing my snapper leads at them. People have to relise that the birds know no better and have been here well before us and really is just wrong to be trying to get rid of the birds because we want to catch a stupid fish.

Yea that is helpful mate cheers, I've had birds as pets my whole life and know that they mask illness until really it is to late, I didn't even think about taking it to a vet I should of that was my bad. If this ever happens again ill be sure to take it in the boat back to shore and back to my local vet, I just feel bad for my fishing to affect the local wildlife, I hope most fisherman relise that we should be doin all we can to make sure out hobbies have no or as little effect on the wildlife once we leave. Nothing worse than seeing birds or whatever it may be be caught it cut off lines or hooks or whatever from someone who has been neglectful in the dumping of rubbish and cut off tackle etc. I wish I did take it to a vet or snap his neck bit there were a few boats around near me and I thought if I did kill it some other people would go a bit crazy about it. I've been at Clifton gardens on more than one occasion when people are throwing sinkers are garnets I believe there called, (the common sea bird that will chase and dive after baits and fish etc) and I've had a go at them telling them that if they throw another sinker at them ill be throwing my snapper leads at them. People have to relise that the birds know no better and have been here well before us and really is just wrong to be trying to get rid of the birds because we want to catch a stupid fish.

We all learn new things every day. I wasn't trying to make you feel guilty or anything! Animals are just something im quite passionate about so I'll sing on about it for ages if you let me