South To Marley Sat 13th

mottyman

Hi everyone,

Geoff and I got of to a freezing start on Saturday and headed south out of the Port down to Marley Wreck. The target for the day were some Reddies or Snapper on the wreck or under the cliffs. :biggrin2:

We headed out and trolled around the Bommie first up. I got a strike on a Spanyid Maniac almost strait away just past Jibbon Head that screamed off but dropped the lure after about 10 seconds. Continued trolling around the bommie but didn't get another looker so headed south and trolled under the cliffs.

We got to Marley beach without any further enquiries (except a few birds who were fooled by our lures) so tured east and headed out to the wreck where a couple of boats were already bottom bashing.

The sounder showed fish that thick the screen was blacked out near the bottom and you guessed it - bloody jackets. For the next little while we lost bait after bait and rig after rig for only a few small jackets that commited suicide. Every time we moved, they were there. :ranting2:

We moved back in under the cliffs where I started throwing 4 inch bass minows in hope of a reddie or a couple of blurters.

Third drop with the BM i hooked into this fella. The jig head got him right through one of his tenticles so he was ours. :1clap:

post-237-1124058005_thumb.jpeg

He was also followed right to the top by a very hungry friend a bit bigger in size who was trying to snatch the bass minnow from the first squid!! :1yikes: We kept him in the net next to the boat and got a jig over the side but he dissappeared. We tried for a while long but couldn't raise any more squid so just the one.

I did however get my PB Seargent Baker on a BM. :074: This fella was about 50cm or so and gave a couple of good head shakes a few runs so that provided a little fun. :074:

post-237-1124058318_thumb.jpg

Back on the drift in Bate Bay for a flatty the Skipper Geoff came up trumps with this nice flounder. He was a happy boy after swearing obsenities at Jackets all morning. :1clap:

post-237-1124058360_thumb.jpeg

So... a fairly nice day out for both of us. The squid was beautiful and tender and the Mrs made me up a nice spicy batter which hit the spot!! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Edited by mottyman

Guest Jocool

Going by some of the reports coming from the Bay, it seems I would be better of trying there some time soon! Thanks for the report Motty! :thumbup:

Hi Joe,

Thanks mate. Geoff and I always have a great day on the water. :1clap:

There's some mighty big squid down there. The second one that followed the one I caught was a monster... still, I was very happy with the one in the pic.

Geoff and I put an "x" on the side of the boat at the spot we caught him so we'll re-visit it next time and see how we go :074::074::074:

Cheers Joe, hope to see you out there really soon mate. We'll be sure to come and say G'day if we see ya.

Cheers,

David.

nice flounder.

We caught one a little bigger out near the HWO on sat. Deep fried with chilli and shallots mmmm....

Didn't catch anything else, although we didn't get out till 11:30am. Also, tried Molineux at around 2:30pm along with about 20 other boats. No one catching much there too.

Nice report - Certaintly beats my day hands down.

I didn't even get on the water. Was up early for a the drive to where my boat is kept (a 1 hour drive). Got there and loaded boat and hooked it up to car. Went to take off when for some reason I thought I better double check I had the boat keys with me prior to driving 0.5 hour to the ramp.

Normally I just leave my keys in the boat, but for some reason I didn't put them back in last time. So of course the keys were an hour away.

I quickly considered a 2 hour round trip home to get keys (plus another 0.5 hour to get the ramp) before I unhook the boat and drove home.

And then to top it off the wallabies played terribly and got flogged by the blacks.

Good day at least you tabled some fish, we went out on Sunday to bombie and the flats from Windy point just to give the my two boys "giveus" and "getus" a chance to wet a line. Got two flatties but just too small to keep, can't wait to finally hit a couple of choice sized fish.

Stephen

Thanks guys.

Marc S, that's bad luck about the keys mate, you must have been spew'n :ranting2::ranting2:

Bluey - "Giveus and Getus" - classic.... :074:

When my kids start that crap, they're met with "you're luckier than alot of kids, be bloody grateful for what you've got... the answer is no"..... :risata::risata:

Cheers,

Hooley dooley :1yikes:  we might be related.

My daughters names are canihavea and canwehavea . :1prop:

62424[/snapback]

Me Mum reckons she went to school with the Bull brothers.......

..........Eddie and Terry :biggrin2:

Motty looks like you had a good day. Then weather sure looks nice over there; even if a little nippy in the A.M.

So a sgt Baker is a Gurnard of sorts?

G'day Clutch,

Yeah, once the day warms up and the frost melts the sun is quite nice on the back!! :thumbup:

I went for a walk in the sun through the Sydney CBD today - very pleasant!!

I'm not sure if the Sgt Baker is a type of Gurnard. They're fairly common though.

No pretty colours but has rows of tiny sharp teeth. Made a mess of the BM it took. The jig head was even roughed up quite a bit. It was only the fluoro carbon leader that saved me I think.

Cheers,

G'day Clutch,

Yeah, once the day warms up and the frost melts the sun is quite nice on the back!! :thumbup:

I went for a walk in the sun through the Sydney CBD today - very pleasant!!

I'm not sure if the Sgt Baker is a type of Gurnard. They're fairly common though.

No pretty colours but has rows of tiny sharp teeth. Made a mess of the BM it took. The jig head was even roughed up quite a bit. It was only the fluoro carbon leader that saved me I think.

Cheers,

62431[/snapback]

Thanks Motty, kinda like a Gurnard , but in costume jewellry :074::074:

the old mother.. in... law. fish :biggrin2:

...... thats a record....the baker :biggrin2:

62467[/snapback]

:074::074::074: Didn't know they were called that but geez, I can't believe I didn't guess it's so obvious, the teeth, the spines....!!!! :risata:

Right, that's my first "record" :hitsfan::tease: Hopefully the next one will have a yellow tail :1naughty: