Drifting grounds outside the heads

Robofish

Raiders,

I have spent a lot of time recently chasing kings and schools of salmon outside the heads but also love flattie bashing and although we have tried a few spots at different depths just can't seem to find a good patch of gravel or sand to pick up a feed. We usually do well for flatties out of broken bay but would love to find some good spots to drop onto out of the harbour - can anyone help?

Dave

Guest mike2153

Mate I'm after the same info I went out on the weekend for a bottom bash and just tried random spots and each time eased out a bit further, I could only get onto the baby got about 10 or so then when I went out further the bites dropped off

I went out yesterday and all my regular spots where i usually do well were devoid of fish. two weeks ago we got hits as soon as you touched the bottom once we found the patch and managed 12 big ones in an hour all on lures.

I find you just keep prospecting around till you hook a keeper then mark it on the sounder. if you do this each time you hook a solid fish you get a picture of where they are holding.

But as i said, yesterday they weren't there or not feeding. maybe they have finished spawning.

Robofish, Flathead off Sydney can be like Jekyll and hyde. One day your on them next day your not. At the moment they are in roe and are lethargic. There are plenty of undersize off Sydney at the moment especially in 30m, but mixed amongst them are some 45+. 70 -80m will see good tigers and blue spot.

You must be sure you are on the sand and gravel especially coming off the edge of reef. Cold water also plays a big part as they dont like to bite. Also try running a stinger hook off your sinker.

Guest mike2153

Cheque when you say lures why lures are you talking about, soft plastics and just drop them down with a big enough jig head to keep them on the bottom or soft plastics on a paternoster rig? Also on my sounder hds5 how I can I tell of I'm on sand or gravel?