Harbour reds

sbf1

After a little success on the weekend we hit the harbour this arvo after I picked up my bloke from school. The wind was very gusty to say the least and almost pulled the pin after half an hour but we stuck in there and managed a couple nice reds, one 45cm and the other 43cm. Both west of the bridge and caught on squid.

post-24531-0-31735000-1381921011_thumb.jpg

post-24531-0-50586900-1381921030_thumb.jpg

I have fished the harbour for over 30 years and this is the first time that I have caught quality reds on the west side of the bridge. It proves that the water quality must be the best it's ever been along with no commercial fishing resulting in better fish.

I realise you arent targeting bream , Im just curious how in that area of the harbour you could avoid them . Im not trying to be a smart A by the way more interested in the method you use to be able to target them so accurately :) .

Edited by GaryO

Ok thanks sb, so would it be fair to say you try to replicate the same style of tackle , bait and water conditions as u would do in ocean water snapper fishing ? Ive never really given it a thought to target them in the harbour so your report has certainly opened my eyes to another avenue of fishing for specific species. Have you ever fished places like sow and pigs for them .

Thanks

I only fish a couple spots west of the bridge. I use a very basic rig with a number 1 ball sinker, 12lb 1 meter leader and and a 3/0 light gauge hook with strip baits

Edited by sbf1