Broaching when running downhill

Paikea

In the sixties, as a surfboat rower I gained a fair amount of experience of boats broaching when running down waves. That experience was expanded when over the following years I built/bought a series of boats ranging from 11.5 Ft to 33 Ft long.

In all cases I found that the experience gained rowing surfboats gave me a distinct edge when running my boats in a following sea. One harrowing experience was when my deckie and I took my 26Ft Fly bridge Savage up to fish a tournament in Port Stephens immediately after a huge storm had passed through. As we passed the entrance to Pittwater there were tree logs and other large debris floating around.

We were running North with the long swells when a larger than usual swell picked us up and started to drive the boat. I gunned the engines and rode the swell for what seemed like an eternity. When the run finally stopped I looked at the GPS which showed that we had reached a speed of 32 knots. The best that I had ever been able to coax out of this boat was around 24 knots. At that time GPS readings were generally behind actual time hence the top speed would have been achieved toward the end of our run down that long swell. Hairy as hell and took quite a bit of juggling the wheel and throttles as we ran down.

The reason for telling this tale is that with so many people going a long way out to see I wonder if they have sufficient experience to do so. I recall one person who posted to another site stating that he had jus bought his first boat, a 4.85 Quinnie and wanted to know how to get to Browns. If that is not sheer madness I don't know what is.

Maybe I am being overly cautious however I cannot help but feel that boat owners should endeavour to gain some first hand experience of running "down hill" close to shore before they venture out wide where the circumstances might be less forgiving. Same comments apply to running a bar.

An ideal training ground is the entrance to Port Hacking where, after a storm sizeable swells will come in to the Port and run as far as Bundeena. You can start by running at the edge of the swells where they are smallest and gradually move into the bigger parts as you gain experience. Learn to use the combination of throttle and wheel to control the direction of the boat at all times. As you gain experience you might find it a lot of fun to run "downhill" under control but never ever take the sea for granted.

Cheers

Paikea

You can start by running at the edge of the swells where they are smallest and gradually move into the bigger parts as you gain experience. Learn to use the combination of throttle and wheel to control the direction of the boat at all times. As you gain experience you might find it a lot of fun to run "downhill" under control but never ever take the sea for granted.

Interesting post & your last few lines says it all. The main reason for boats to broach is that the swell is traveling faster than the boat & as such pushes it along , generally in an uncontrobal fasion.

With hand on the throttle , make frequent changes so the boat is staying just in front or slightly faster than the swell.

Geoff

I certainly agree that there are a lot of people fishing far wider offshore than they should. These days newcomers in particular seem to be of the view if they have a radio and a GPS then nothing can go wrong. When I started fishing nearly 30 years ago we wouldn't go to the Peak unless the weather was perfect. These days I just shake my head at some of the boats I have seen 30 miles plus to sea. Yes trailerboats have improved and seaworthiness in general has improved but given the sharp increase in numbers heading wide there must be less experience on average across a far larger number of boats.

Inexperience in itself isn't a problem as long as people realise how quickly things can change.

Lol @ the guy with the quintrex and browns! Somethibg my mate would do.

I have a 20ft boat and about 6yrs experience on the water. I still havent been further than 2-3kms out.

I know what you mean about riding the sea, that is quite fun when you know what you are doing. But for know i am still leaving browns for another time.

You must Respect Nature, and with Experience you always look at what she Tells you: Scrolls on the water ,Wind,Clouds,Feel the currents direction and not least look at the Wave pattern. and to be truthful It takes a lot of years to gain the Knoll age . and not least read & watch the weather forecast what patterns in the other states V.I.C and Q.L.D is days before your trip (for storms warnings ) I find it Usually takes 3-4 days to reach Sydney (and is a no go) . and I find a great Help talk to the Old timers and heed to their advise & Knoll age . I remember ones I was at Bellambi Boat ramp launching 16,5 Fibber Glass (Heavy Boat) this Gentleman walked past and we took time out had a Chat about a lot of things about the area. when we got back in the afternoon there was bit of a surge also (Boat Ramp has Aluminium Grid) slippery as, for a rear Drive Ute. Tyres spinning & spinning No traction then having two blokes stand on the the rear of car with jumping motion so I could get some traction I barely got out but managed with a lot cursing & swearing. the Old Timer walked past we got talking again he saw that I had Trouble getting out. he said he see at least two cars a year with their head lights in the water. he said I don't tell everyone or anyone this. and I took his advice: get TWO hessian bags sow the ends together keep it in your car use them when you need traction on boat ramps with heaps of alga on low tide or aluminium grates and you should be right. and I proved it ones at tunks park low tide. even the council boys likes having lunch in the park . came over wanted to know how I got out, as they usually have their break there and always help someone out and gain free drink for after work. and now I always have a few Hessian bag in the boot just in case. ( Take note what the Old Timers has to say they do have a lot of knoll age they do like to pass it on to people who listen.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent comment re: Drogue/Drift Anchor. Maybe it could be Highlighted in a safety Forum on FishRaider. regarding how to use it & when, and in what circumstance. Excellent for High Lighting it To TESTLAB & PAIKEA.

Thank you to YOU Both.

Oziodin

I have some business commitments and I am writing a competency assessment related to boat handling at the moment. Once these are done I will look at putting something together on drogue selection, deployment and retrieval for small power boats. There are also some techniques I'd like to check as they apply to small vessels.