Bull shark on 6pd leader

snuggles

post-16146-0-83596500-1381982781_thumb.jpgpost-16146-0-39485100-1381982791_thumb.jpgpost-16146-0-17250900-1381982759_thumb.jpgpost-16146-0-25167200-1381982740_thumb.jpgpost-16146-0-17250900-1381982759_thumb.jpg

hi all,

only my second post, though i thought you would like this one.

I was recently up Ballina way for a holiday and had a chance to catch up with a firend who said we should get out on his boat and chase some school jews in the Ballina river. So with that suggestion we headded out on a sunny October moring armed with a 2-4kg flick stick loaded with 6pd braid and 6 pound leader.

we were flicking 5 inch curly tail grubs at structure, pilons, snags, storm water outlest with no joy for about 30 min.

Thats when all hell broke loose, my mate casted toward a pilon and snagged himself, he then said we should probably try somewhere else whilst i had one last cat as he attempted to de snag wimself.

about 4 seconds after my cast dropedZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

the ZZZZZZZZZZZ didnt stop for about 3 mins. I lost about 100m of line. We clicked on the electric motor and started chasing,

we chased the fish a total of about 1.4 km from start to finish up and down the Ballina river and finally into a side creek. over this time we hypothisised over what it was, we did not see it surface until about 25 min into the fight and that was about 40m away 'it was a big white flash' we still didnt know what we were looking at, a big Jew, a ray, a shark....

It took another massive run and we continued to chase.

the fight lasted 45min in total with the final result being a 105cm 10kg Bull Shark....

It was most definitely the most enjoyable fight and biggest achievment on light gear i have experienced.

the beast was released to grow big and eat livestock in the years to come...

tight lines

That's great fishing mate. It's always the last cast. I bet you were hoping for the jew. It could have been worse, you might have got busted off and always left wondering what it was.

Well done that takes skill.

Cheers Steve.

Good fighting catch. Well done. You are a brave man holding the shark for the photos. I saw another guy do that once and the shark suddenly thrashed while he was holding it and latched onto his shoulder. His great day ended in the hospital.