Amberjack/Samson off Longie - my first

leatherjacket

I couldn't wait to get out in my Hobie Kayak this morning!

Two weeks ago I caught a dozen calamari off Barrenjoey headland and they had been sitting in the freezer waiting for a calm day that I could go off shore. The squid were vacuumed sealed but were still going a bit brown with freezer burn....

The last time I came to Longie it was winter and I bought my snapper gear - that was like going to a gun fight with a knife!

This time I set up two heavy rods - one with 50lb line and 100lb leader for the downrigger (targeting kingfish this time) and the other with 30lb braid and 60lb leader with a 5oz sinker to target the top of the water column and shallow reef on the way out.

Normally I just take the one rod with 50lb line if I have fresh or live bait and rig up when I get to the drop off / ridge.

But today I took a second rod so I didn't have to re-rig and to fish the shallow reef on the way out....

At the boat ramp - 9am three guys were coming back in with a snapper - WTF!

When I launched at fisherman's beach it looked like it was still two meter swells. Which is quite a task if you are a kayak fisherman and it has everything to do with timing the waves....

Past the breakers and inshore reef I finally rigged up started trawling with my 30lb line and immediately (I mean two minutes) hooked into a solid fish. The line way screaming off so I tightened the drag as much as I dared.

My first thoughts was a good kingie, then a giant Snapper. I mean these things go hard!! I could feel the head knocks and powerful runs! I had to use every bit of my patience to get the stubborn thing to the surface.

It kept going under my yak and from left to right. I finally got it, but I'm still not sure if it is a Samson fish or a Amberjack? Ether way it is a first for me;-)

It was a beautiful fish and it gave a good fight! We'll cook it on the bbq/ sushi tonight, nothing will be wasted and even the frame & head will go in my crab pot.

Cheers,

Andrew

post-9297-0-66251700-1382153597_thumb.jpg

post-9297-0-38696000-1382153673_thumb.jpg

Have to disagree on that one I'm leaning more towards Samson fish due to the coloration and positioning of the fins.

The colouration is what tells me it's an AJ.

The yellow line running along it's length is all AJ & also lack of brown blotches that

juvenile Sambos have aren't there.

We've caught heaps up of both up here on the Tweed.

Cheers,

Grant.

The colouration is what tells me it's an AJ.

The yellow line running along it's length is all AJ & also lack of brown blotches that

juvenile Sambos have aren't there.

We've caught heaps up of both up here on the Tweed.

Cheers,

Grant.

I'll take your word for it but it looks very different from an AJ i caught in Sydney. The body is alot deeper also the colour is alot darker. Heres a pic for comparison

post-11865-0-38352900-1382177075_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I ended up chucking the frame in Narrabeen Lake without checking if it had pink teeth. It had dark large spots when I caught it but looked very kelpy all over by the time I got to land. I caught it in 20ft of water while trawling squid for Kingies so I think it could be a Samson and thank you all for your comments!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...