Cox River Today

Nuttynatty

Hi all

Fished the Cox today for 5+ hours for no fish, threw plastics, sml hard bodies and a few others at every nook and cranny.

Spooked a few nice solid trout.

Saw 3 fish in total. It was very disappointing.

Anyone else had a go there lately.

Water level looked pretty low.

Nuttynatty, what stretch did you fish? If you want to catch a fish in any stream in the mts ATM, full camo stealth mode and try and make your lures hit the water quietly , then you might have half a chance if your lucky. Don't know what it is but there very very sensitive ATM

• 2 weeks later...

mate i've been up there a lot recently and not a fish. have a house on mt vic so its a 10 min drive down to the river. its been the worst start to the season for me. dunno whats going on with that river at the mo. i have a feeling when it flooded not to long back it swept a lot of the fish down with it. my only reasoning. :-( i have seen fish in it tho so hopefully things will get better. i mainly use celta lures. Unsure, can you bait fish that river? on the opening day was fishin it and saw about 3 blokes walking down river with floats attached to there lines...

Unsure, can you bait fish that river? on the opening day was fishin it and saw about 3 blokes walking down river with floats attached to there lines...

There are no regulations saying you can't but it would be good to see it changed to an artificial lure/fly stream simply for stock numbers. The only reason I suggest this is because of the lack of fish I have seen in the rivers west of the mountains from the start of the season and because of the historical catch and kill rate of bait fisherman. Granted this can be rather meaningless as some lure and fly fishos will sometimes take their limit but generally speaking lure/fly fishos are more in it for the sport not the feed and a much greater number of fish are released back into the system for the next fishos who come along.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to be an elitist or anything like that... It just makes sense. The lakes over the hills (Lyell, Oberon, Wallace) are well stocked and are home to some quite large fish where bait fishos can quite happily take the kids out and take a feed home for the family and fish stocks will barely notice because of the restocking programs which are undertaken in them.

Luc.

It is stocked by the local acclimatisation societies, not sure if it is on behalf of the government or funded by them. I am sure they still do stock them but having said that I am not sure of exact details of how often and how many on which rivers. What I do know is that wild trout populations are pretty fragile in the streams and efforts are made to preserve them. There are fish around but they are few and sometimes far between.