water resistant smart phone

SMn

G'day,

Just thought I'd post about my new phone, I'm far from a Tech whizz, but I lost my galaxy note the other day and obviously it has disappeared from the face of the earth. So I set out to get a new phone and I wanted something I could fish with off the beach, rocks and kayak (I know you can water get resistant cases for some phones, but I wanted something simple). I thought it was wishful thinking but by chance I stumbled upon the galaxy s4 active. I searched high and low for something that would suit what I wanted and came across 2 phone's that is water resistant up to 1m (for 30mins) and dust resistant, a Sony and a Samsung. I went with the phone closest to what I had originally had and got the Samsung.

Most of my fishing is from the beach and rocks and I always had my phone as a camera and way of contacting people when I was fishing. With the note I had a bulky protective case and a zip lock bag which made taking pics and sending texts/calls a pain. I tested my new phone in the water giving it a dunk in the local lagoon as I went for a fish this arvo and it bl00dy worked! No dramas at all. I certainly wouldn't take it snorkeling or anything, have no problems taking it beach or rock fishing. I'll still have it zip locked when fishing from the kayak as an extra redundancy, it seems you can't get an after market waterproof case for water resistant phone. however, I'm pretty stoked to have a phone that can handle a bit of spray and the occasional dunking without adverse affects.

it seems water resistant phones will be available from many different companies from 2014 on so if your in the market have gander.

I only chose the Samsung because I was familiar with that brand and by no means do I suggest that anyone should get one or that it is the best, but just be on lookout if you're after a new phone do a bit of research for one that's water resistant as it seems to be something that a few mobile companies are making an attribute of their new models.

When will they make a smart phone that's as robust as an Alvey! Hahaha...

If anyone has had any experience/problems with this phone I'd like to hear about and if anyone picked up a galaxy note outside of Gosford station please PM me as I was very attached to that phone and using this new one meant I had to preview this at least ten times before I could submit, with such a small screen.

Hope everyone is having a bonza weekend!

Cheers!

Phil.

Hey phil

I Have an iPhone, which has amazingly done pretty well considering I take it fishing and work on a construction site and have dropped it countless times.

But since the new software upgrade it seems to lag and it's pissing me off. And it's only been since then that I'm looking around to see what's available for the next phone I get.

These days, even basic smart phones have fairly fast processors and you don't wait long ( depending on your service provider ) getting something up on your screen from the internet. But these phones obviously don't feel as tough and wouldn't like to drop one. I even considered going back to a regular phone to keep it simple and spend less time doing what I'm doing right now ie having my face planted in a small screen, but nah, I think I'll just get bored.

So the options for a future phone seem to be the samsung or sony in the water proof models, I'd just have to nut it out and see which one I like better or trumps the other because of a particular feature.

Harry

Hi Harry, my wife's iPhone did the same when updated. I looked at the iPhone 5 when choosing and there's a few good water resistant cases for it but the screen was a bit to small. While the Samsung Active can handle dust and water no worries, it's still not shock proof, so you'd need a cover in case you dropped it especially at work.

I'll let you know how this one holds up after a couple more trips if you're interested.

Out of interest you do know water resistance isn't the same as salt water resistance right? Salt water corrodes the seal and then once it hits the inner electrics you are screwed. My Muvi Atom and Go pro both leaked due to the seal failing after the first trip using them. Both are now dead.

Be very careful and insure your phone... i know it says waterproof but the whole point of it is really to make it splash proof/clean proof. I dont think the manufacturer warranty will cover water damage?

My brother and i worked in underwater construction for a few years and between us have had many watches, cameras, tools, which all say water resistant fail after a couple of trips. Salt water is evil! Be very careful!

Out of interest you do know water resistance isn't the same as salt water resistance right? Salt water corrodes the seal and then once it hits the inner electrics you are screwed. My Muvi Atom and Go pro both leaked due to the seal failing after the first trip using them. Both are now dead.

Be very careful and insure your phone... i know it says waterproof but the whole point of it is really to make it splash proof/clean proof. I dont think the manufacturer warranty will cover water damage?

My brother and i worked in underwater construction for a few years and between us have had many watches, cameras, tools, which all say water resistant fail after a couple of trips. Salt water is evil! Be very careful!

yep it's water resistant not water proof, while it has an underwater camera feature and is rated for saltwater, I won't be swimming with it. Just nice to have that extra bit of protection when caught out by a wave or I drop the bloody thing in the sand when trying to take a pic hahaha... you must always wash it with fresh water after its been in salt. Warranty only covers manufacturer fault so if you mod it or change in anyway they won't replace.