Question for Huett Marine

Paikea

Hi, some time ago I posted some details on how to prevent corrosion in Aluminium boats. The perennial problem that all brands seem to strike sooner or later.

As I mentioned in my article it is possible to avoid or at worst minimise corrosion by using nylon sleeves to insulate stainless screws etc from the boats aluminium plate, also using nylon screws and nuts to make non structural connections such as radios, nav lights, compass etc. Also using insertion rubber gaskets under all rod holders, a prime area for corrosion.

My question is this, knowing that most if not all aluminium boats do suffer corrosion over time are any manufacturers prepared to go the extra yards and insulate all fixings or alternatively to offer this as an extra option at a price?

This is not intended as a criticism of Aluminium boats, I have owned several and have always been happy with them but it is always a shame to see boats with patches of corrosion that could have been prevented.

Just a thought for the industry to consider.

Cheers

Paikea

Hi Paikea, blistering paint and actual alloy corrosion are two very different things and most alloy boats that truly corrode live in the water permantley or have the boat acting as an earth return and you get a lot of current running thru the boat. I know the Oz made brand I choose to stock and sell use duralac and alloy rivets where possible and we do here too. The other brand we stock, being the Extreme range of boats, are up another level of ALL alloy boats I have ever seen and these guys have the best paint work and go the extra mile to avoid the potential for problems associated with salt water. This is why they cost a bit more and are the only brand built to not only CPC standard but to Survey as well so yes mate to answer your question some brands go above and beyond and as the saying goes "you get what you pay for in life" and with boats that is very true.

Trust me I have had pretty much all the alloy boat makers contact me over the years about stocking and selling their boats and most are good but I choose to stock and sell what I do because they are the best.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey, its good to hear that some manufacturers are dealing with the corrosion problem. Be worth paying extra to avoid a boat looking like it has a bad disease after only a couple of years.

Re fitting nylon sleeves to Stainless screws etc I have found that the bulk of corrosion is around after market fitted stainless rod holders where not only the paint around the holders has blistered but the ally has pitted. That is where the nylon sleeves and thick rubber gaskets are essential. Particularly if the owner uses electric reels which was the case for a boat that I saw last weekend. As you mentioned, any electrical components that in any way touch the ally hull will cause big problems. Even if all circuits are separately earthed.

I use Duralac as well as the nylon sleeves and gaskets. Messy stuff to use but works ok. On its own it does provide a measure of protection (providing that screws etc are fully coated) but nowhere near as good as the full system.

Cheers

Paikea