about to a buy a new boat advice needed ...

jay_stylz

hey guys about to buy a carribean crest cutter 1990 model bout looks pretty good solid floor solid transom no cracks of anything like that motor seems pretty good its a 2003 yamaha 70 hp was wondering if theres anything else i should look for?

Mate I just bought a boat and have to replace so many parts.

Check the trailer, winch, brakes.

Check the fish finder, motor tilt and trim on both controls and outboard. Take boat for a run.

Check the radios see if they work!

All my faults above :D

Check for any sign of the timber in the transom having rotted.

Easiest way is to raise the motor then use it as a lever to see if the transom flexes. If it does you could be up for big dollars to repair it. A transom can look quite sound with no surface cracks but still have a partially rotted core.

If all ok the Crestcutter is a nice little boat. The later models changed from a 15 degree dead rise to 19 degrees.

Cheers

Paikea

Mate,

Two things I'd do, is write a checklist and take your time on a sea trial.

So many times I've gone in with brain only checklist and come home and forgotten to check this or that. To many beers me thinks. Write it all down. Might seem simple but many don't do this. Get on excel and get a list going with all above mentioned points and any others you've come up with. Print it off and away you go.

Don't let the bloke make you feel as though you have to rush. Or only has 30min to spare you. If he's fair dinkum and wants to sell his boat he'd tell ya to bring a rod and have a fish while on the water.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey thanks for all the help much appreciated check all the stuff u guys mentioned went over it for about and hour looked under the hull iside and outside messed around with the motor and transom got a bright led torch and was lookin in all the dark spots had a screww driver and pressed into anywhere that looked soft lol i think the poor guy was horrified haha but all seemed to be good