Ulladulla Flathead

Paikea

Went down to Ulladulla for the third weekend in a row, finished tidying the garden and a big trip to the tip using our free tipping docket from Council. Saved $22.00 we were told. Getting so that we are spending more and more time down the coast which is aok with me.

As usual went down to the Southern ramp to have a look at what might be coming in and if I could see any trailers with walkways to get some more ideas. Could not believe the number of trailers parked there, must have been at least 40 or more, all sizes.

Normally the locals go out very early and come back in around 10 to 10.30 to beat the wind that seems to come up around that time.

Anyway one little tinnie caught my eye, father and son locals had been out chasing Flathead and caught 20 (or so they said) Both Sandies and Tiger Flathead and apparently only just legal with plenty of throwbacks. Dad said he spent most of his time baiting up for his son who caught the most fish. (The young fella had a smile on his face a mile wide). Doesn't get much better that that.

The thing that blew me away was their boat, it looked home made by someone who had just bought a welder. When I queried the origin of the boat the owner said that the boat was built out of plate,(Wollongong if I recall correctly) strong as an elephant and known for being a good fishing boat. It carried a welded on nameplate that read "Brighton" something or other. (see Pic).

The owner then said that his father, a professional fisherman, had recommended the boat to

him. Goes to show how first appearance can be misleading. The boat was very plain, unpainted, coarse lines, no frills but it caught fish and did the job for this father and son combo.

Following is a pic of the boat and some trailer walkways that I looked at.

NOTE; YOU CAN ENLARGE EACH PIC BY CLICKING ON IT. JUST FOUND THAT OUT MYSELF.

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by Paikea

I have made a couple of aluminium walkways and in my opinion they are the best option made out of diamond plate then screwed down to the cross members , the wider you can make the walkway the easier it is.

Do you have any pics or details of the materials used and where to get them?

Cheers

Paikea