Winney Bay and Avoca

krause

Hi all,

Last year I went to Avoca a few times, and as it is, there were a thousand people, and very few fish to divide between all of them. Im just wondering about Winney bay as an Alternative? Does it get the same numbers as South Avoca? Also how isit to fish? I found in the Safe Rock Fishing Initative forum limited and breif descriptions. Is it a similar height/style to Avoca, or higher. Avoca makes me unsettled to fish there, as it is sooooo flat. Any info would be appreciated, even if it is fishing well yet (too early?). If I can help anyone else out in return with any topics or spots theyre curious about, let me know :D

Cheers boys

There's less room and its dangerous as stick to avoca at least if something happens there help close by. Also if there's more then two cars parked at the top don't bother going down

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Edited by kingfisher84

Yeh +1 for it being MUCH more dangerous than avoca. Avoca is alot lower to the water, and fair amount of people have lost their lives there. If the same amount of people fished Winnie bay i guarantee you there'd be alot more deaths.

Although its high up and can be fished in larger swells than Avoca, it makes it alot more dangerous IMO. Theres no angel ring and nobody patrolling it, like there is at avoca beach.

Winnie has claimed its fair share of lives, if you fall/slip in and swell is not favorable you are in big BIG trouble.

I consider myself a decent swimmer and i honestly think if there was decent swell and i couldn't make it back on the rocks further around, i wouldn't be able to make the swim to avoca/copa.

It is a good spot to fish, but can't handle anywhere near the numbers of avoca. As already said, if theres a couple of cars up the top than its gonna be tough getting a spot.

IMO avoca fishes better, you just need to get down there earlier to setup and get a spot. Also getting out in the week helps!

Edited by macca02

I fished Winney Bay for many years back in the 70's and 80's when you could could drive down to the bottom of the track from the water tower. If I now had to walk it.....I wouldn't. Yes it is a great fishing spot on it's day but doesn't handle too many - 6 or 7 fishermen would be maximum. Have caught some great fish from there. Dangerous - I wouldn't say so - if the swells are breaking over South Avoca, then no, don't go there. Yes if you were to go in, the only spot to get out is the "Rat Trap" - see below. In a howling Southerly, there is a spot heading around to Winnie called the "Coal Seam" - it's dolomite not coal but is black but you can safely fish and can be an incredibly productive spot.

If you do walk to Winney Bay proper, as far as you can go, I high location ( 3mtrs above water) facing south-east - called the "Rat Trap" - can be incredibly productive for tailor at last light (though has a lower ledge). But if I had to walk back up the road, I would rather not.

Thankyou all for your oppinions. So its a safer/higher ledge, IF, fished correctly and in the correct conditions. Please dont take that statement as arrogance, I will never push the limits with rock fishing, for I have had my near death wake up call and will happily turn around if its to rough. Ovoca erks me a bit because thee water gets up and over and is slippery (blackweed). My mates are alitttle unco and are not equipt with rock spikes hence a higher ledge is just that little easier/safer. I might go have a look and scout it out first, no fishing gear, just to get a feel for the era.

Cheers for the help

you could try the south coast I don't mean JB but you could go down to the tubes if your keen enought, you could try the northern break wall at port kembla a safe spot and every thing from beam to kings you can catch live bait on the inside of the wall. A little further south theres windang island a fairly safe spot with 2 beaches either side and a little further south you could try black head not to be fished in rought weather but a good spot for bonnies salmon kings also a neat little black fishing spot all these locations you can catch bait yakkas mainly but some times there is slimies and frigetes about if you try the blowhole be very careful evan in calm conditions power waves can wash over the point that said it can be a productive spot BTW you catch live bait in the habour there "yakkas"

Last time I checked it out it sure looked like every other murk,and smelt like it.And get in trouble there,you'll feel very lonely.

I think thats the thing. Just because its a higher ledge, in no way makes it safer. If anything its more dangerous.

Slip in at avoca, and you're a short swim from the beach, and phone call away from lifeguards coming straight out, Angel ring getting tossed in etc. Always alot of surfers and fisherman around etc.

Slip in at Winnie, you're in big trouble. If the swells up then its too dangerous to try and get back onto the rocks, no angel ring etc.