Soft Roof Racks

sam bros

hi raiders

just a quick question, has anyone ever tried soft roof rack before to transport their kayaks

i want to buy a kayak but would rather get soft roof racks than actual roof racks because you can take them off when they aren't in use

any information would be helpful

thanks

I use them and they work pretty good. Only problem I found is the straps may damage your car a little. The plastic strap running along the roof between roof and door has popped up between where the straps hold the racks in place. Nothing major as mine is an old car but if you love your car you would be annoyed

Hi mate, I used soft racks when I first got my kayak and they worked very well. They can scratch your roof though so make sure they are clean and the roof is sand/dust free before you strap it down. Make sure you have a thin rope tied down from the front of the yak to under the front of the car and the same with back if your on a longish journey to stop excessive sideways movement. I've never had water come into he car though but imagine it happening if really soaked.

Gday mate.

I have used soft roof racks to transport my kayak from sydney to port macquarie a few times with no problems. to make sure nothing gets scratched i bought some rubber band from clarks and lay that under the rack. no movement or scratches, sitting happily at 110km/hr with a double kayak.

Hi mate, used the soft racks to carry a kayak once for my mate for a trio down the south coast, the wind buffering noise will drive you crazy and on the way back it was raining and I got wet marks on my roof lining as water was sipping through. For short trips I think their good but on a long trip I don't rate them.

Hey. I have never used soft roof racks or transported a kayak. However we have got detachable roof racks for the family car. They are a set of rigid roof racks that can be removed. They are supported on permanently attached anchors inside the door frame. Unfortunately they are a little old and I cant give you any info on price or model, but im sure that if you dug around you could find them/something similar. I can certify that such a product does exist though. Hope that helps. Cheers