Transom Bilge pump

samboy

Hey raiders, quick question about bilge pumps on the transom for the live bait tank.

Can the standard bilge keep sucking water when underway? I realise heaps of people have a pickup attached to the boat too but I have an old Haines 445r and would prefer to just mount the bilge with sikaflex

In essence , No.

If your using a Rule pump it needs to be mounted as per the photo.

post-731-0-88843200-1384474507_thumb.jpg

If the blue base is below the bottom of the boat without the SS bracket , the pressure of the water passing accross the base will tear the pump off

Your only other option is to mount the pump so the blue base is above the bottom of the boat but then it will only work when at rest.

Just on the boat , the age is not an aspect that needs to come into the mounting decission

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

I agree with Geoff. If you are trying to stick the pump on the stern to avoid drilling holes the only place where it wont receive enough water pressure to fall off wont have enough in the water to run when moving.

A question for you Geoff. Your water pick up in the photo appears to be part of the mounting bracket. Does that then send the water up through the pump and the same hose or does it have a separate hose attached? Maybe it's just the photo angle.

yep the pickup is part of the bracket the pump screws down on, the water under pressure when underway is forced up through the pump to the live bait tank, i have a valve with a lever inline which can closed the hose to tank off or on in the side gunnel inside ,there is no separate hose the water feeds through the same line whether pumping or being forced up to tank

post-2960-0-23026900-1384494690_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frantic

Good info guys,

I had a mounting bracket like the one for my transducer mounted on the port side stern, to one day mount a LB tank pump. I did at the same time that I had an outrigger platform welded to the bow for my minnkota. Wasn't cheap but looks like standard and no drilling holes in the transom.

Now I know how to set it up when I finally get around to it.

Cheers

Choicebro

Boattart. Frantic has answered the question. In respect to the valve , this is an option but , depending on the drainage set up , it's more a personal choice rather than a must have.

For interest , here is a photo without the pump.

post-731-0-04393800-1384499336_thumb.jpg

Whilst we are on the subject , these brackets have an outrageous price , around $50.

Playing around in the shead one day I had a piece of aluminium strip cut & bent it into shape then drilled a hole & fitted a cut down of one of those applicators you get when buying tubes of Silicon etc.

It's not been fitted to a boat but draging it through the water in the pool there was a good spout of water comming out the top.

If wanting to save a few $$$$ this could be an option.

post-731-0-04393800-1384499336_thumb.jpg

Geoff

PS for some reason the first photo has been repeated.. I am unable to delete so please ignor

post-731-0-22264400-1384500383_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff