Bung plugs

jay_stylz

Hey guys well just need some advice on this situation with the bug plugs basically it used to have 2 of them now it looks like it's been sealed up with silicon which is the one closer to the bottom the other one is a bit higher is open like normal what do u think I should do ? Remove the silicon and add a new one or leave it closed ?the people who owned it before me said the floor has been redone so I'm not sure what to think of it I'll post up some photos tomorrow

I don't think re doing the floor has any thing to do with the bungs.

If they have pluged up the hole with silicon then sooner or later the silicon could fall out or at least begin to leak.

At this time , without seeing the pic's , I would be refitting a new bung housing and bung.

Geoff

From what I can see , it appears as though the whole housing has come away , that is , if one was there to begein with .

Perhaps the housing has fallen out & they have been unable to buy a new one or just been lazy & filled the hole with silicon.

Having said that , the hole looks very low to the bottom of the boat & perhaps they tried to fit a bung as low as possible & actually gone into the fiberglass bottom preventing the housing from fitting.

Whilst it would be nice to know the reason the important thing is to fix the problem.

My suggestion would be to remove the silicon & clean up the hole. Try & fit a new housing & bung.

If for some reason this is not possible cut a piece of aluminium to make a plate to fit over the hole , apply a liberal amount of silicon to the plate & around the hole then screw the plate onto the transom.

Geoff

Just a further thought , it may be worth a call to Huey regarding the best position for the bung , the top one appears a bit high but this may due to the internal structure of either or both the transom frame or bottom of the boat.

Before progressing too far it would be worth removing the floor so you can see how this area is constructed.

Geoff

Thanks for the help I removed the silicon just before and found a bolt with was bolted directly into the fibreglass not really sure why they have done this :/ .... Yeh I think I'm gonna put another bung plug housing in and see how we go I really don't understand why there was a bolt in there here's a some photos

post-10292-0-45780200-1384828545_thumb.jpg

post-10292-0-49461300-1384828567_thumb.jpg

Guest Aussie007

when they say the floor was replaced, originally there would have been a bilge area on the inside of the floor where it would have met the bottom of the hull the bottom bung explains this

now the last owners installed a new floor and covered the bilge area in with the flooring and made a new bung hole at the floor level (top bung)

its a bodged job, remove both bungs prep the holes and fill it with fibreglass than re drill your bottom bung hole than put in a new bung as for your floor its already done so not sure what u want to do about that

i would have a guess and say water has already been penetrating your transom thru the bodgy bung holes