Heading to Gerringong: Tips?

Witha

G'day Raiders!

FINALLY have a weekend off! :banana: So heading down to a mates place in Gerringong for a few days. Was going to do some surf fishing / have had luck on North Weri i think it is before and might hit up my new obsession with SP's for flatty/ whatever is out there in the estuaries!

Anyone have any experience with the area / tips and tricks for the beach and any estuaries around?

Thanks all! (Regardless of the outcome just absolutely BEAMING to wet a line!) :sun:

Cheers

WItha

I used to fish Gerringong and Kiama area quite a bit. The rocks at North Weri are good for drummer and livebaiting or spinning might get you a king or bonnie. Black Head is an awesome platform for spinning, throwing plastics or bait fishing. Lots of squid around too.

A couple of kms South you also have Seven Mile Beach... the area at the South end, Shoalhaven Heads, at the surf club is easily accessed by car and there used to always be good gutters and channels that are good for tailor and jewies (not that I ever managed to get one)... plastics should be a good go there.

Crooked Creek at the north end of Seven Mile Beach is always reliable for flatties but takes some work. Fish on the last of the run out... you'll need to slop through a bit of mud to get to the deeper weed'lined channel and holes (only accessible by foot near low tide). The sandy holes and channel were one of my favourite fly fishing spots so plastics there would be a no-brainer.

Cheers, Slinky

Edited by slinkymalinky

I used to fish Gerringong and Kiama area quite a bit. The rocks at North Weri are good for drummer and livebaiting or spinning might get you a king or bonnie. Black Head is an awesome platform for spinning, throwing plastics or bait fishing. Lots of squid around too.

A couple of kms South you also have Seven Mile Beach... the area at the South end, Shoalhaven Heads, at the surf club is easily accessed by car and there used to always be good gutters and channels that are good for tailor and jewies (not that I ever managed to get one)... plastics should be a good go there.

Crooked Creek at the north end of Seven Mile Beach is always reliable for flatties but takes some work. Fish on the last of the run out... you'll need to slop through a bit of mud to get to the deeper weed'lined channel and holes (only accessible by foot near low tide). The sandy holes and channel were one of my favourite fly fishing spots so plastics there would be a no-brainer.

Cheers, Slinky

yeah what he said and minnamara would be worth a spin

For SPs in the surf, do you use the same lift and drop technique as estuary? Or more of a slow roll/ twitch and pause? Have quite a few larger sps I'd love to try out in the waves!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

for salmon i use a faster retrieve with about 4-5 hops. trying to imititate a fleeing bait fish. aslong as your making contact with the bottom you will connect to flathead using the same technique. i cast out bigger flick baits and just retrieve them with some twitches, just like you would a hard body etc