Rod handles these days...

fisherman666

No such thing as silly question so here goes. Why do rods these days have exposed blanks under the reel? You know instead of cork or foam all the way to the base of the rod you only get part of the blank covered in a grip. What's the point and does it still work with rod holders in the boat?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

G'day

The idea behind them is a slight weight reduction and also that when your finger is touching the blank you will feel every little bump through the graphite blank.

Instead of cork arbors under the reel seat you can use graphite arbors which weigh less and pass on vibrations better. The split grips are also only for weight reduction.

I haven't had a problem using expose blanks, or split grips in rod holders either.

Cheers Leo

What i would like to know is why rod makers use the latest fuji sic k guides and super high modulus graphite and nano resins etc and then slap on a fuji pipe reel seat.Why have custom shaped cork or eva handles when your hand doesnt come into contact with either surface while fishing.Surely if they are using the best of components a pipe type reel seat would be the last thing you would use

They still use the standard Fuji seats on the top end stuff because they are good seats, I build custom rods and also use them... It's more a preference thing as to what seat you like.

Can slap a $50 alloy seat on a rod but adds weight and in most cases is overkill.

Hi Matt 84, I dont think it matters whether the reel seat is made of plastic or alluminium, the point i am trying to make is on the majority of factory rods available these days you have beautifully shaped forgrips and split rear grips which in general day to day fishing scenarios rarely come into contact with the hands.The part of the rod that you hold when casting and retrieving is a hard unshaped plastic/alluminium reel seat.Daiwa seem to put a bit more thought into their handle/reel seat designs than many other rod manufacturers and supply shaped reel seats on a lot of their factory rods i just wish other rod makers would follow suit. cheers troutboy

Again it's a preference thing... They do make a variety of different seats that could be used, several split seats, soft touch seats, etc all obviously at different additional costs.

but take the split seats for example some people love them, some people hate them, I have some seats that feel great in the hand if you hold in the right spot but if hold it any other way it feels awkward. Then you have the whole up locking/down locking thing.

You may find a set up you love, but doesn't mean every other person will like the same set up... Probabley why they just put pretty standard seat on most of the factory rods. Can't make the same rod with 6 different seats available...

that's why people get custom rods made I guess

All i do is fish with lures on light rods i only ever hold the top grip so i can always have a finger on the blank to feel the slightest tap.all you have to do is watch some of the comp boys they never hold the reel seat

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2