Sage Xi2 Vs Rplxi

Weiry

Hi Weiry,

I haven't tried the new rods (didn't even know they were coming out, to be honest). However, I do have to say that although I have a heap of Sage fly rods (which are all on holiday in Tasmania until I can get back there), I've found that some of their new "ultra high modulus" graphite rods have been just a little TOO fast for me. The action is all at the tip, and while that might suit some people, it always seemed to make the casting a bit too "hurried" for me.

However, fly rod selection is the ultimate "horses for courses" - have a flick and see what you think. If you're looking for a rod that loads fast and is good for flicking small flies in tight cover, or making "reaction" casts to pods of boiling fish, the very fast action might suit you down to a tee. However, for a day of steady loch-styling and putting in a lot of steady, easy casts, it might not be what you're after.

Apart from anything else - let us know what you think after you've tried one - I'd be very interested to hear about them!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using a 7wt Xi at the moment.... havnt tried the Xi2 yet though (only tried the XP), but heard that the Xi2 is faster than the Xi... From all who've tried the RPL+, we all reckon its a stiff mama, and if thats down your alley, you should give Xi2 a go. For that matter, you should even try a Winston XTR.... :biggrin2:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Weiry,

I know you have your rods but i thought i would add this for anyone reading this threat later.

I think you would be hard pressed to beat the Temple Fork rods in terms of value for money. I have a 6 and 8 weight with my Dad having a 7, all of them the TiCr series. At aroud $200 US each ($400 AU if you get them here through flyworld) i think they are hard to top. I have cast the TiCr-X but found it to be too fast. Even on the TiCr i choose to upline both rods to aid in rod loading. All of these rods puch well for their weight and i can't fault them. Mind you having been developed by lefty there is not much else you would expect.

The Honda Accord of fly rods, not quite a mercedes but very close for a third the price!!!

Don'y get me wrong the Sages are a superior rod being made in the US however i don't fish everyday and can't cast far enough to tell the difference and certainly not justify the dollars.

Food for thought hopefully.

Weiry,

I wasn't having a go. Hands down high end Sage and Loomis are better rods and if i had the cash i would buy the high end as well, it is just not everone does. I think at the end of the day the important thing is that we are both very happy with our purchases and will enjoy them no end.

If only life was more like that Merceds ad!! Born old and get younger.

However i am a uni student and fly fisho. :biggrin2: Not a good combo so it won't be any sage or loomis for me for a while :( Temple Fork was the best that i could reasonably afford. Having said that they are much better IMHO than what is around in other brands at this price range and well worth saving for.

I might be tempted into an Old Florida reel or the like though for serious salt work. :thumbup:

Hey fellas, I've got an xi2 #9, an Rplxi #7, and a TFO Ticr #5. All are awesome rods. Love em. The xi2 is definitely heaps faster than the Rplxi, but I use the #7 more often. The TFO is a brilliant little rod too, couldnt fault it! There are a few US stores that will do great prices on fly gear. I got all of mine for almost half the price of what they charge in the stores here. :biggrin2: