Calling all GT experts, or anyone really

the one that got away

Hey guys,

I'm heading of to Fiji in a few weeks and keen to get into some GT's while there. Was originally planning on a simple Penn 950ssm, but after a bit of research and talking to a few people. I've decided probably need to up the anty on them as it hasn't got a very strong drag. Was thinking something like a Fin-Nor Offshore 7500/8500/9500 matched to an 8ft 20kg T-Curve rod with 65lb power pro braid.

Aim isn't really to catch a massive once in a life time fish, more so to get the arms stretched a bit and have some fun. So all in all, only trying to catch small-medium GT's .

Any help will be great!

Cheers, Zac :)

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you except I'm going in May.. I bought a Shimano 15-24kg T Curve travel rod which is probably a little excessive but I thought it's better to be safe than loose that huge GT again!!! I matched it with an Omoto overhead reel so hopefully that will go well with the rod.. Can't offer too much advice though as I'm yet to do the trip and last time I didn't take anything just did a charter and lost a huge GT at the boat which is why I'm keen to get one on board this next trip!

im no GT expert but one thing that you have to think about when looking at an outfit to throw any lure but particually when your talking about big combos and big popper is weight.

the fin nors seem tough enough but can you see your self casting with it all day? personally id be going 18000 stella or value for dollar saragosa and a nice light weight graphite stick with some serious balls.

im no GT expert but one thing that you have to think about when looking at an outfit to throw any lure but particually when your talking about big combos and big popper is weight.

the fin nors seem tough enough but can you see your self casting with it all day? personally id be going 18000 stella or value for dollar saragosa and a nice light weight graphite stick with some serious balls and 80lb braid you can always back off on smaller fish