Bass and a Platypus on the Nepean today

mottyman

Hi everyone,

Ok, I didn't catch the Platypus thank god, but did see one which stayed with us for ages and kept surfacing to have a look at us. The little guy popped up right near the bridge at Yarramundi and followed us down stream while we fished, keeping a safe distance but tagging along for the ride.

Was lovely to see and the river is obviously in good nic - heaps of flow today which made paddling back a bit of a challenge and at one stage had to walk.

In Bass news we seriously lost count of the amount of small to medium fish we caught. Black and black and gold divers did the trick, as did spinner baits. Chris pulled 8 smallish fish out of one area one after the other on a black diver. I got two from under the next tree along - clearly he had the better of it at that stage :-)

The best fish of the day I found in the bottom of a deep hole with heaps of fish showing on the sounder. The bottom went from about 70cm right down to almost 8 metres very quickly, a bit like a cliff under the water with the fish at the bottom of it. I was in site of North Richmond bridge by this stage.

Looked bloody fantastic on the sounder, should have taken a pic but I was a bit excited as the fish alarm was going nuts LOL

Anyway, put on a bigger 3 inch plastic with a Betts spin and let if flutter down. Couple of cranks of the bottom and wammo - a beautiful big fat fish of 36cm. My best Bass of the season so far.

I was stoked to find them on the sounder and then actually put a lure down there and pull one out.

I felt like a real fisherman with half a clue! I was really happy with that effort and really was enjoying myself.

So a few pics of from today.

Cheers

David.

post-237-0-04925500-1385532789_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-13713300-1385532876_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-97048500-1385532960_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-72351100-1385533029_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-27526900-1385533095_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-06802300-1385533158_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-48135500-1385533231_thumb.jpg

Edited by mottyman

Great stuff David!

I've been seeing heaps of Platypus up here & they are very cool!

Those deep holes do produce some cracking fish. Even a standard softy on a

jighead works really well, as do blades, but just be careful of what's on the bottom!

It's nice to see the yak getting a good workout. You always used to catch good fish in the

Harbour with half a clue & it's no surprise to see you nailing some bass. LOL.

Well done & keep it up!

Cheers,

Grant.

Nice mate. Always good to see healthy looking river Bass in big numbers. It's been the same here in the Hunter River, not many huge fish but plenty of healthy small to medium size Bass and it's good to see.

Well done.

Hi Grant, thanks mate.... I'm really enjoying my fishing at present - With half a clue each fish feels like less of a fluke! :-) lol

Dave - the little ones are thick as under the trees, it was almost one cast one fish out of the same place for Chris there for a while. Didn't pull a decent fish from the shadows today, they appear to be in deeper holes. Hopefully they'll come to the surface at some point for some big smashes.

Its amazing how many of the little buggers there are.

Thanks again.

Hey Scratchie,

We actually started at Yarramundi bridge and worked our way all the way down to close to the Nth Richmond Bridge. Fished a lot of spots all the way down and then just paddled back home around midday.

The pic of the yak's on the bank when we were having a cuppa is the last shallow and narrow section before the river opens up before Nth Richmond bridge.

It was a decent paddle back in the heat!!! :-)