Kingfish/Snapper Setup

Rodb73

Hi Raiders,

I've almost got the boat ready for Summer and I'm relatively new to boat fishing. I'm hoping I could grab some thoughts and suggestions for a setup suitable for Kings and Snapper, including line types and terminal tackle.

I'll be mainly fishing Botany Bay and the Hacking.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the replies.

I guess the most important question......what is your budget? There are endless options from $250 up to $2000 or more - and I wouldn't advocate the lower price end. You do get what you pay for. How much are you likely to use it? Remember most likely it will take a fair bit of time on the water before it starts to work.......it is not a short term commitment.

Hi Twinfisher,

Well I'm definitely prepared for the commitment, but as far as the budget goes, I've thrown about 4 grand into my 15ft Nautiglass over the last couple of months and the missus will shoot me if I keep spending more.

So, I guess the budget will be around $600.00 for a little while.

I'm hoping that'll get me into some Kings over Summer.

Thanks again and I look forward to your suggestions.

Guest Aussie007

a nice penn reel works well they are cheap and robust and the HT-100 drag washers are sooooooo smooth i bought the 260 size for kingy fun and have had a ball with a lot of other species on it, penn reels are that great i pulled one up from the bottom at the hawkesbury river it was still on a rod with line hanging off it, it had barnicals and brown muddy crap all over the reel and rod, later the following day i cleaned up the reel and lubed it, first time using it was a couple fishing reports ago in my two videos catching a kingy and salmon on that exact reel i pulled in from the hawkesbury river lol

few years ago when i was right into kings i was using 45lb main line, 100lb leader for 75-80cm kings and from memory 80lb main line 100lb leader for the big bruisers off south botany head that measured 90cm+

these days i go as light as possible that includes live baiting on 6lb main line 15/20lb trace with a 1-2kg rod when im not around structure but the kings are only rats, pretty fun actually

ive tried all sorts of leaders and caught my biggest flatty over 80cm on the black magic brand but im a fan of the penn leader only problem they dont make small lb sizes i think 15lb or 20lb is the smallest i could find instore

hope this helps

For $600 you can get a good quality combo.

If you're after spin gear, for around 200-400 you can get a nice Shimano/Daiwa reel (I've got the 8000 Sustain and its awesome!), leaves you $200-300 for a decent rod + braid and you're good to go.

Mate for that kind of money. Have a look at the shimano terez rods and the rarenium 5000. Or if you want a beast of a rod and only spend around $200 on the reel. Go for a nitro godzilla spin, and get a spinfisher ssv. Ive got a 4500LL which has the bait runner function. Youd probably go for one of the bigger sizes. If you put some 30-50lb braid on the godzilla/ssv combo, youd have a versatile kingy stopping machine. The versatility would help you save for a while before you decided to get more gear..... And we all know that day will come.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive got a Shimano T Curve deepsea jigging 200 matched with a Shimano Thunnus 8000, absolutley awesome and the baitrunner style reel comes in handy when downrigging and setting the depth (also good if you want to target Jews). Might be just out of your price range though.